Geography A LEVEL

“One of the most employable degrees to have…”

Course Detail

Geography helps us understand the world around us, whether that be researching the recent volcanic eruption in Chile, evaluating the effectiveness of the recent New Street Station development, or using geographical information systems (GIS) to understand how deforestation has affected large areas of South America. The work of geographers across the globe is both exciting and pivotal to the functioning of the planet as we know it. The A-Level Geography will enable you to develop a specialist knowledge on a wide variety of contemporary themes; you only need to turn on the news to understand how geography plays a large part in our everyday lives. As well as this specialist knowledge, A-Level geography will also provide numerous opportunities to develop your fieldwork skills, as changes to the curriculum now ensure that a minimum of two days fieldwork is completed; one field trip will be to an urban area, the other will be a residential visit to a coastal environment.

The Geography A-Level covers both the human and physical environment, and the complex interconnections which run between them. Further to this, the knowledge you gain will be directly applicable to a host of real world settings, helping us understand how our actions as individuals, and as part of the wider human race, can have a serious and lasting impact on the world around us.

How will I be assessed?

At the end of Year 12 you will have two written examinations, each lasting 1.5 hours. The overall result will form your AS grade.

At the end of Year 13 you will have two written examinations, each lasting 2.5 hours. The written examinations will form 80% of your final A-Level grade; a geographical investigation assessed through a 3,000 word essay will form the remaining 20% of your final A-Level grade.

Additional Entry Requirements

  • GCSE Geography: 5
  • GCSE English: 5
  • GCSE Maths: 5

These requirements are in addition to the general entry requirements.

All A-Level courses are two year courses. You will sit the AS exams at the end of Year 12 and the A-Level exams at the end of Year 13. Although the AS grade will not count towards your final A-Level grade, you will need at least a grade D at AS to succeed on this course in Year 13.

Where can this course take me?

Due to the large number of transferable skills involved in the course. More than 90 universities across the UK offer degree courses in Geography, ranging from undergraduate level through to Masters and PhD levels of study. Geography is a highly valued A-Level option, and is often termed a ‘facilitating subject’. As a result, even if a degree in geography is not your required path, it is an excellent addition to a university application.

A geography degree is often perceived as the most employable degree to have and can lead to a vast amount of career paths, ranging from town and transport planning, through to accountancy and law, teaching and lecturing, astronomy and criminology. The list is endless!