Our Job: Build a drill powered GoKart using materials from home and from the shop. How are we going to do it? See Below to find out!
Step 1: BrainStorm
We first began to brainstorm our designs. As you can see, they started out a bit complicated...
Here, you can see that we wanted to use a throttle, which would in turn use the pulley to push the drill down and make the wheel's spin.
But soon, they became a bit more basic. We began to think of incorporating less wheels, thus making our design easier to make.
This is our first design where we planned to only use one wheel in the front, instead of two.
We also decided to use two side pieces and a back rest for the seat of our GoKart. Our plan was to snap each part to form the seat using small slots on the sides of some of the pieces, and slots extending from the sides of others.
Finally, we were set on a design for our body and began to build. However, we soon realized that the design below was to curvy for our liking. So, we made it more basic, and our base became more rectangular.
We liked the simplicity of the steering system here. However, this whole plan would be scrapped when we decided to use handle bars to steer.
Step 2: Gather all of the materials
For the wheels, we decided to use some from an old bike.
We took a bike from one of our houses and began to take it apart.
Here is Josh taking apart the gears, possibly saving them for our final design.
We took our gears and planned on incorporating them into our final design.
This is just a proof of concept, to show how the threaded bolts would prevent the axle from spinning inside without the wheel. As you can see, it did not end up so well.
Here is where we also decided on what materials to get from our local department store, Lowes. The list goes as following:
NIBCO 5-Pack 0.5-in L Copper 2-Hole Pipe Strap ($2.27)
Blue Hawk 25-count ½-in x 1-½ in Standard Fender Washers ($6.58)
Blue Hawk 100-ft ¼ in Paracord ($11.98)
2x Blue Hawk 2-½ in. Pulley wheels ($2.38x2=$4.76)
Step 3: Begin the technology side to our design
In order to print out the base, we had to create an onshape file including all of our pieces. Each group member was responsible for one major piece of the final design. Here is mine:
As you can see, the holes inside and extra rectangle extruding from the side help the piece fasten on to the other pieces (like a puzzle).
Then, we as a group put all of our pieces together, to see a rough model of what our final body would look like.
The side with a hole is the front of the body. We have plenty of leg room!
Our next job was to import each design a Vcarve file, a program which allows you to print items from a shop bot. While, our file is not ready yet, I would assume that it would look something like this: