Minutes 4/24/17 Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Invocation by Senator Brock
  • Pledge of allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Phillips, Cherry, Bolick, Moskowitz, Anders, McCormack, Ruday, Reid, Simmons, Richard, and Hines were found absent
PRESENTATION BY MAKERSPACE PRESIDENT OWEN PHILLIPS
  • BB: recommendations for using the space unrelated to majors?
  • OP: laser cutter is very simple to use, acrylic
  • BB: how long would a project take?
  • OP: carabiner can be engraved in a few hours
  • BB: costs to students for using space, materials, etc
  • OP: access to machines is free at the moment due to funding
  • OD: what is a water jet
  • OP: shoots pressurized water to cut steel
  • SS: how long has Georgia Tech been expanding their maker space?
  • OP: 7-8 years ago
  • PG: looked into alumni or corporate sponsorships?
  • OP: yes, Watt is one of the centerpieces for corporate sponsorships on campus
  • SP: how long does a student have to wait to use the resources?
  • OP: may show up 30 min to an hour ahead of time, generally a decent wait period
  • SP: considering expanding beyond that room?
  • OP: currently no commitment to expand the room, but plan to exhibit demand
  • BS: any operation during the summer?
  • OP: currently no funding over the summer
PRESENTATION BY DEAN OF LIBRARIES MAGGIE FARRELL
  • ZP: how many people from around the community come to check out books?
  • MF: community has to pay a fee, not a significant usage
  • ZP: open to have community events in Cooper to encourage community to come?
  • MF: currently CU DIRS, but limited space for this
  • PS: student access to materials in storage?
  • MF: in catalogue, can be delivered to any branch within a day, or can be scanned and delivered to desktop
  • JS: ADA entrance to library?
  • MF: continuing to work on that, working on ADA entrance on 4th floor
  • SP: expanding to Greenville?
  • MF: have a small collection at iCar, currently busiest space so would likely work with them, work with public library system to an extent
  • KV: average of how many books daily checked out?
  • MF: circulate just under a million books a year, also circulate equipment
  • MS: other portion of Harcombe possibly for Maker Space?
  • MF: requested by testing center currently
  • BB: idea of more closely monitoring capacity of Cooper, seating?
  • MF: discussed with student group, likely could put readers at the doors, can’t track how many people are sitting in a seat
  • BB: how feasible to add in technology scanning?
  • MF: not sure where the student group is right now, but met with some employees in library
  • BB: more cameras in lower floors?
  • MF: Cooper is not set up for 24/7, the lower you go the more difficult to add technology, a budget issue but continuing to monitor that

academic affairs, shreya shankar

  • Updates:
  • Shoutout to Jacob Crotts on completely running his first CUDIRS! Everyone come Tuesdays in the Library from 12:30-1:00
  • TA of the Semester going through tonight-- please push through 2 reads
  • Test Moratorium Requests have been coming in and handled
  • Met with Dr. Griffin about future goals for academics and cross-departmental collaboration for next year
  • Committee Member Project Updates:
  • Jacob Crotts - Undergraduate research resources
  • Phillip- Harcombe into a study space
  • Tremaine - Priority registration for Student Veterans
  • Willie - The future of Your Voice.
  • Mar and Madison - Getting printers in every residence hall
  • Matt Phillips - Working on getting 2 free transcripts for every student
  • Contact Information:
  • Shreya Shankar | 843-260-4372 | shanka2@g.clemson.edu | @ShreyaTheSlaya

athletics, josh hutchinson

  • Updates
  • Finalizing new ticketing policy for the Athletic department before the summer
  • Meeting with Graham one on one this week to make sure we are on the same page going into the summer/fall
  • Chris Fiocchi from Campus Rec is coming to talk in committee
  • Anybody is welcome to come to our committee and listen if they want-Tuesday at 8:15pm
  • We are getting a sauna and steam room on the pool deck in the fall
  • Looked into fixing issues with the IM League website and Rec It app
  • Make sure you are using the “REC IT Fitness” app and not the Rec It app when trying to add or drop fitness classes
  • Also recommend using “m.imleagues.com” which is a mobile version of the IM League website and it can be added to your home screen as a make shift app
  • The IM Leagues system does not allow you to unregister of drop a class once started.
  • If you are still having issues contact me and I will get them too look at your account individually to make sure nothing is weird with your account in particular
  • Shoutout to Peter from US for bringing this issue to my attention!
  • Projects
  • Ticketing policy proposal
  • IM league and Rec IT app issues
  • Exploration of Campus rec improvements
  • Athletic updates
  • We’re 2016 College Football National Champions
  • This will be in my report until next football season #neverforget
  • Baseball is now No. 3 in the nation at 31-7 and second in the ACC with a record of 14-4 in the ACC
  • Big series against Wake this weekend
  • Contact Info
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu

campus life, jacob livingston

  • Updates this Week
  • Summer Updates
  • Schilleter will close, FFC will be open, Harcombe will reopen for Orientation
  • New artwork going up in FFC
  • Laundry Alerts will be installed (!!!!!!)
  • Continuing Student Housing (on-campus) contracts for 2018-2019 school year will happen in OCTOBER, instead of next February.
  • Multicultural Dining Hall Days are happening! This is not a drill!
  • Connecting committee members to RHA communities at the start of the next semester.
  • If you have any comments, questions, or concerns about anything over the summer, please reach out to me!
  • Haven’t tried the Unicorn Frappucino yet because I hear they don’t locally source their rainbows. #SCgrown | jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy

finance & procedures, miller hoffman

  • Updates:
  • Bylaws Task Force meeting this Wednesday at 8 in the Offices
  • If you’re interested in a summer job, the bylaws would love a babysitter
  • Legislation: MUST GOT THRU 2 READS
  • Non-Operational Funding
  • Emergency Funding
  • Budget Approval
  • Committee Projects:
  • B - working on possibility of tour guides receiving a Communications credit
  • Christian - Veterans’ Center space, bylaws TF
  • Parker - WiFi bubble, working with ITSAB
  • Abe - printer access to residence halls
  • Samuel - bring Eno structures to campus
  • Bryson - Study Hours in the Valley, Navy ROTC
  • AJ - bylaws TF
  • Org of the Week: Clemson Dairy Science Club
  • As always, hit me up with questions or comments
  • mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu (803) 412-5983

health & human services, madison gregoris

  • Updates:
  • Second read on LGBQTIA+ community space resolution - get excited
  • Had 1 on 1’s with each and every committee member this week to discuss short-term and long-term project goals
  • Bar Outreach Project
  • Reached out to George Clay, Shreya, JLiv, Sherry Dorris, and AID Upstate to start moving on projects for the fall
  • Senator s/o:
  • Rachel Reid (CL) - Got multicultural dining days approved! Yay!!
  • Jacovia Cherry (US) - Crossed and became a devastating diva of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. So proud of her!!!!!
  • Individual Project Updates:
  • Anna - working on reforming CU Guardian app - adding “circle of 6”, dropping a pin or adding phonecall
  • Stephen
  • highlighting Trans friendly health people/counselors/RHA staff
  • Google drive accessible thing and then transport it into lounge
  • Placing non-gender conforming/Trans students with those RA’s in the future
  • Possible project with Jacob, ask him where they are on that
  • Meeting with Shreya to talk about CU1000 reform
  • Possibly credit hour(s) with letter grades
  • Discussed reforming of town halls
  • How to make them more productive
  • Jordan - working on accessibility ad-hoc
  • Jay
  • First generation - contact Sherry Dorris tonight (4/19) and cc Jay on the email
  • Increasing and retaining Latinx admissions
  • Alumni network
  • Pushing administration to raise target
  • Scheduling meeting with Neha
  • Aliyah
  • STD/STI prevention - AID Upstate
  • Flu prevention
  • Let’s talk about sex town hall
  • Redfern - free STI testing, meeting to talk about future
  • Daniel - including diversity/inclusivity component into CUSG Retreat
  • Perrin
  • Table with stirrups
  • Capital improvement funding
  • Tampon/Pad drive - set up sometime in the fall w S2S
  • Cultural awareness points at Clemson - Winthrop model
  • CU1000 Reform
  • Diversity component to CUSG retreat
  • CAPS syllabi awareness - sit down with Shreya and talk
  • Bystander intervention
  • Contact these people if you have resources, help or anything else they might want or need.
  • Finally:
  • 1 minute video on a REALLY awesome thing I found this week
  • https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/855086171671609344
  • Call me/beep me/if you wanna reach me | 3155592066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu, SC: @madisonj315

transportation & facilities, patrick gorospe

  • Updates
  • BikeShare
  • Sign up for $5 at Clemson.Bcycle.com, pick up card at PATS
  • S/O to Owen Phillips with most trips (42) & most miles (82.35mi)
  • 125 people have signed up http://newsstand.clemson.edu/alternative-transportation-takes-off-at-clemson/
  • ZipCar
  • Entry fee waived, 35 free hours to every student that waives permit privilege
  • Targeting incoming freshmen to reduce on campus resident cars
  • Park n’ Ride- $24 commuter permit, park in R6 or Y beach Mon-Thur, 7am-6pm
  • Tell your commuter friends! (compare to $148 permit)
  • Committee Member Projects
  • Jess Ruday - water refill stations, mobile metered parking, parking knowledge, safety walk
  • Andrew O’Steen - Bathroom improvement, Student Chapel
  • Lisa Uy - bathroom improvement, outdoor study spaces
  • Emily Anders - parking knowledge, mobile metered parking, outdoor study spaces
  • Monica Rozman - ADA accessibility, LGBTQIA+ engagement
  • Corey McCormack - moped locks
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)

university services, mikey summers

  • Toured Palmetto Cluster Facility
  • Palmetto is nearly at capacity and looking to expand
  • Met with Chuck Knepfle
  • Bids are underway for platforms for new my.clemson app
  • Meeting with Director of Spiro Institute this week
  • Contact:
  • mrsumme@clemson.edu
  • (864)328-7441
  • Committee Members
  • Catherine: Plug Markers in Library
  • Beau: Live Streaming of Senate Sessions, TedX Clemson University
  • Thomas: Tigervision programming in dining halls, Tigervision sports program, CUSG Resource List
  • Ashley: Food Summit
  • Peter: Public Art on Campus Inspired by Science, Arabic and Aerospace Minor
  • Jacovia: TBD

clerk, jack council

  • Email
  • % update
  • If you ever want/need to talk don’t hesitate to reach out: 704-488-3242 sc:@jack_council

secretary, kara donovan

  • Points
  • Funding board
  • Bike share
  • CU DIRS
  • Yay F&P :)
  • Let me know ideas for prizes!!
  • Contact Info
  • (410) 220-7220
  • donova3@g.clemson.edu
  • Insta: @kara710
  • Twitter: @kdon710
  • Snapchat: @karadonovan710

pro temp, steven patrick

  • Good luck on exams!
  • Spring Retreat T-Shirt banker is closing tomorrow night! Check Facebook about delivery
  • If you have any ideas for events, tell your Driving members
  • Informal Social Gathering Friday, August 25th Crawford 721

vice president, jaren stewart

  • Vp Council Outreach
  • Greek, Club Sports
  • Senate External Involvement

president, leland dunwoodie

  • Shoutouts
  • Academic Affairs
  • Hutch
  • Updates
  • Outreach: Mayor (Combined Session), FFA
  • Let’s be friends
  • ⅔ last week
  • Zumba Wednesday 5:30
  • Sign up Tuesday 5:30
  • Steering Action Steps
  • You can always come to Steering
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Old Business

Senate bill 9

  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • JS: move to approve by acclamation
  • Bill approved

senate bill 10

  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended operational appropriations
  • TM: move to approve by acclamation
  • Bill approved

senate resolution 1

  • Authors: Stephen Moore & Jacob Livingston
  • Sponsors: Joe Whitaker & Jessie Bailey
  • Purpose: To express Undergraduate Student Senate support for the prompt allocation of an on-campus LGBTQIA+ community space
  • WW: move to call to question
  • MH: objection- lot of debate to be had
  • TM: pro- come together as a real family, not only preach inclusivity but also act on it; uphold Clemson core values, our job as leaders to be a liaison between students and administration
  • ST: con- issue of self segregation, potential negative speech
  • MR: pro- haven’t had many requests from other organizations for space, rarely have gallery this full, we already have restrictive spaces all over campus but this space isn’t there for that, members of Clemson family asking for our support that they haven’t always received, a good way to support other students
  • MH: con- main issue is the CPI score, feel like some expectations are more long term, straying away from idea of united Clemson family
  • BS: pro- friend at University of Louisville found a space like this to be very helpful, similar to having the CUSG offices, not going to block off these students from the rest of campus, rather to find people who support them on campus
  • JS: con- move to call to question
  • Resolution passes

New Business

senate bill 12

  • Authors: Christian Jones & Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • BD: move to suspend rules and send this bill into second read
  • TM: pro- good numbers
  • JS: move to call to question by acclimation
  • Bill approved

Senate bill 13

  • Authors: Miller Hoffman & Bernadette Sommer
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended emergency appropriations
  • DF: move to send this bill into second read
  • MP: pro- good bill
  • PT: move to call to question
  • Bill passes

senate bill 14

  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsor: Nikhil Gandhi
  • Purpose: To approve the proposed Clemson University Undergraduate Student Government budget for the 2017-2018 fiscal year
  • IK: expand on condolences & congratulations
  • MH: same as previous budget, in the event of various unfortunate or fortunate circumstances
  • IK: graduation toast?
  • MH: pertain to all branches of CUSG, very similar to previous budget
  • MR: student worker position?
  • MH: yield to Steven Patrick
  • SP: student worker who sat at front desk, answered calls, worked with Chief of Staff
  • AO: honoraria?
  • NG: divided up approximately $175 a semester
  • AO: how many students use Tiger Flix?
  • MH: fairly new, money for advertising, yield to Jacob Livingston
  • JL: try to pick shows not on Netflix, used per month around 3,000 times
  • MS: money that isn’t used?
  • NG: goes into rollover fund
  • JS: passing in parts for the line items that aren’t clear?
  • MH: no, don’t have to explain each line item because they are all pertinent to CUSG, not necessarily Senate
  • CJ: budget for food?
  • MH: can allocate money for food if we get it as a source of revenue
  • CJ: revenues for CUSG?
  • MH: $123,000
  • CJ: where does it come from?
  • MH: Miss Homecoming, housing fair, career fair, campus carriers, etc.
  • BB: what are discretionary and new ideas funds?
  • NG: if a line item needs more money, etc. since every line item can’t be exactly right
  • BB: external funding for Tiger Flix?
  • MH: yield to Jacob Livingston
  • JL: explored previously, but right now all the advertising is Clemson focused, something to look at for the future
  • BB: lobbying trips?
  • MH: for communicating with legislators in state government, yield to Bryce Conti
  • BC: supplement for travel for lobbying trips
  • JS: move to suspend the rules and send this bill into second read
  • IK: graduation toast?
  • MH: part of CUSG banquet, yield to Steven Patrick
  • SP: toasts aren’t to be handled by activities committee, so it has to be separate from banquet line item
  • JS: new ideas fund?
  • NG: yield to Bryce
  • BC: for any new ideas that come up that aren’t there when budget is presented
  • JS: move to suspend rules and send this bill into second read
  • BB: con- not sure exactly how strict this is, seems to be lots of flexibility
  • JH: pro- put a lot of work in preparing budget, new fiscal year starts July 1st, CUSG wouldn’t be able to purchase anything
  • WW: con- move to call to question
  • Bill passes

senate resolution 2

  • Authors: Willie Webb & Mar Paricio Sunyer
  • Purpose: To recognize Syedmohammad Ovais as the Spring 2017 Student-Voted TA of the Semester
  • BD: move to suspend rules and send into 2nd read
  • AO: objection, still have a question
  • AO: does the TA get any award?
  • MPS: get the resolution, can put it on their resume
  • JS: move to suspend rules and send into 2nd read
  • TM: great job
  • MG: move to approve resolution by acclamation
  • Resolution approved

Announcements

  • JL: ideas for Tiger Flix, can use it over the summer by downloading the vpn
  • JC: move for a roll call
  • Senators Bolick, Gorospe, Anders, Ruday, Simmons, Richard, & Hines were found absent
  • BB: campus carriers to store stuff over the summer
  • PT: use chat support feature in CCIT rather than calling for CCIT
  • RR: Student appreciation lunch tomorrow
  • MH: bylaws meeting Wednesday 8pm
  • LD: freshmen council movie night wednesday
  • KV: making a compilation of stories from students, faculty, alumni about Clemson experience
TP: move to recess until Fall semester
Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Sweet Carolina Photography - "CU vs. Duke 2008 - Dabo & the Tigers" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.