The Inn at Southwest is a stately French Mansard Victorian with 7 guest rooms, a spacious wrap around porch set amongst lush and vibrant gardens in the heart of the charming village of Southwest Harbor. The inn stays open May - October though could remain open an extended season or all year.
Owner's quarters is a spacious lower level apartment with two bedrooms, full bath, galley kitchen open to a small living area (see floor plans, link on broker's listing website). Granite block walls are throughout, reminiscent of a European wine cellar. With a private entrance from inside or outside the inn. The inn's kitchen is spacious and offers table space for the innkeeper's private use as well as a bathroom and office/den off the kitchen.
I personally know this inn and this town intimately as what brought me to Maine in 2004 was to purchase the Kingsleigh Inn across the driveway from the Inn at Southwest. We absolutely enjoyed living in this wonderful village, walking to shops, restaurants, the marina, the lobster piers, the hiking and views all around and truly miss it since selling our inn. Now is your opportunity to come see what attracted us so much to Southwest Harbor!
A Tour Inside
- Mansard Roof Victorian Built in 1884
- Approximately 6,400 square feet
- .35 acres
- 7 guest rooms, all with private baths
- Casual parlor with gas fireplace
- Spacious kitchen with table space for innkeeper's private use
- Office/Den off kitchen for innkeeper's private use
- Town water and sewer
- Zone A
- Book 3015 Page 118 Hancock County Registry of Deeds
- Vinyl siding
- Asphalt architectural style shingle roof (new in 2016)
- Heating - electric baseboard and hot water radiator
- Heating fuel - propane and oil
- Water heaters - off heating system
- Propane cooking
- 2019 real estate taxes: $8,355
- Map 3, lot 90 - 371 Main Street, Southwest Harbor (below)
- Onsite paved parking lot, parking for 7 cars in the lot plus gravel parking area for 2 cars in the front.
Area Location, Access and Visibility
Southwest Harbor is often called "The Jewel" or “The Quiet Side” of Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park. There are hiking trails in the park that surround this small village; you can virtually be alone to enjoy the magnificent views of the mountains in Acadia National Park, the lakes, and the ocean. Guest stay in Southwest Harbor as their home base for a great vacation in Maine.
This traditional New England village has everything that encapsulates the heart of island life. Southwest Harbor is close to Bar Harbor, yet far enough away to avoid busy crowds and traffic. Southwest Harbor is also a great place to enjoy lesser known areas of the island.
Acadia National Park boasts more than 120 miles of hiking trails on its 46,000 acres of parklands, most of which are located on Mount Desert Island. This incredible network of well-maintained, marked, and signed trails offers a range of pleasant hiking experiences.
Southwest Harbor is located on the western side of Mount Desert Island (MDI), much of which is divided by Somes Sound, a natural fjord renown for its deep waters dotted with power and sailing boats and yachts. Portland International Jetport is a 3 hour drive; Camden-Rockland is about 1 1/2 hours and the eastern most point in Maine is Lubec, at 2 hours away. MDI is a great home base for exploring all directions. It's also a great stopover before tourists head to Nova Scotia.