1.Oxycontin- A synthetic analgesic drug that is similar to morphine in its effects and subject to abuse and addiction.
-DRUG CLASS; Oxycontin is an opioid pain medication
-Oxycontin is considered both a medical and legal narcotic in the U.S. But Oxycontin is only legal when you have a prescription and are using it for medical reasons
2. Slang Terms For Oxycontin -Cottin -Kickers -Rushbo
3. The type of drug Oxycontin is
- Oxycontin is a semi-synthetic opiate manufactured by modifying the chemical thebaine, an organic chemical found in opium.
- Schedule II/IIN Controlled substances (2/2N)
5. How it's used
- People who use the drug crush the tablet and swallow or snort it, or dilute it in water and inject it
6. History of the drug
-Oxycodone, the opioid that Oxycontin is derived from, was developed in Germany in 1916
- It was designed to be a better medication than other opioids, such as heroin, codeine, and even morphine.
-Oxycontin is a highly addictive drug.
- A single dose greater then 40mg, or a total daily doses greater then 80mg may causee fatal respiratory depression when administered to patients who are not tolerant to the respiratory depressant effects of opiods.
- When a user stops taking Oxycontin, he or she may experience withdrawal symptoms including restlessness, runny nose, weakness, frequent nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, irregular heartbeat, heavy sweating, anxiety and agitation.
8a. Short term effects
-Common side effects of Oxycontin abuse are constipation, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, lack of interest, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, sweating, and weakness.
8b. Long term effects
-Increased pain sensitivity, diffuse body aches, insomnia, no appetite, nausea, diarrhea, and chills.
9. Brain Damage
-Oxycontin works through its interaction with the opiate receptors in the brain. By binding to these receptors, the drug reduces feelings of pain and triggers the release of dopamine, the most important neurotransmitter in the brain's reward system.
10. Other important information about OxyContin
-OxyContin is the brand name for an opioid analgesic
-drugs like OxyContin block pain messages and cause drowsiness
-A large single dose can cause severe respiratory depression and death
-Like many prescription medications, OxyContin (oxycodone) can be very effective in treating individuals with the medical need for these medications; however, using these drugs without the supervision of a physician or for purposes different from their intended use can lead to serious adverse consequences, including death from overdose and physical addiction
-As pain medication, OxyContin is taken every 12 hours because the tablets contain a controlled, time-release formulation of the medication
11. A woman found that using oxycontin gave her great pleasure and she continued to use it for the just how it made her feel. She used it for several weeks. She was very upset when she ran out and couldn't wait until her doctor prescribed her more. She took too much and the side effects that i mentioned started to kick in and she regret taking it from then on and never took it again.
12. Negative viewpoint of Drugs
-“While drug addiction and mental illness are both chronic, treatable health conditions, the American public is more likely to think of addiction as a moral failing than a medical condition,” said study leader Colleen L. Barry, Ph.D. of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “In recent years, it has become more socially acceptable to talk publicly about one’s struggles with mental illness. But with addiction, the feeling is that the addict is a bad or weak person, especially because much drug use is illegal.”
Communities are affected by individual actions because they can see someone seriously effected by drugs and wont know ho to help them and maybe that could encourage someone young in the community to also do drugs
Society can respond to problems that arise from increased drug abuse by just simply banning drugs in that area or doing a petition to stop drug abuse to enforce the law.