Our Vision: Inspiring Innovative Leaders.
Our Mission: Build a strong foundation of relationships in order to engage all students in rigorous and relevant learning.
- RELATIONSHIPS: Create and maintain an environment where the West Family feels emotionally and physically safe, involved, and connected.
- RIGOR: Engage students in ways that promote higher order thinking skills, problem solving, and ownership.
- RELEVANCE: Offer a comprehensive experience that provides for career connections and prepares students to succeed.
Established in 2007, West Forsyth is a comprehensive high school located west of Cumming, Georgia. Spanning over 70 acres, WFHS offers students a wide variety of opportunities to experience a rigorous and engaging education including AP Capstone, AV Technology and Film, Culinary Arts, Cosmetology, Business and Sports Marketing, Engineering, Work-based learning, and Honors programs.
West is proud to offer an extensive curriculum that includes 29 Advanced Placement courses and 8 Career Pathways. West students participate in more than 100 extracurricular school sponsored clubs and activities and represent the West Wolverines in local, state, and national events and competitions. West Athletics fields 25 campus teams in GHSA Region 5 - AAAAAAA, part of the largest and most visible athletic classification in Georgia! Our students succeed in the classroom, on stage, and on the athletic fields giving them a well-rounded high school experience.
The West Family is built on three core values: Support, Trust, and Strength. Building strong relationships is the center of all we do. Under the leadership of principal Karl Mercer, we always have each other to lean on. We hope that each one of our students has a trusted adult at our school. Students in our building know first and foremost “I am West Forsyth! We are Family!”
The Forsyth County Schools Learner Profile is the work of our school district. It is displayed in every classroom. The Learner Profile lists the attributes we expect all students to possess by the time they graduate from one of our high schools. This profile keeps student learning at the heart of all decision-making.
At West, our vision for teaching and learning is focused on the Three R’s...
Relationships ensure the West Family feels emotionally and physically safe, involved, and connected.
West Forsyth High School is focused on the holistic, social, and emotional health of our students.
Our organic implementation of Steven Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is geared at making WFHS feel like home to our students. Each month throughout the school year, we intentionally focus on one of the 7 Habits and recognize West students who demonstrate positive behaviors and choices.
We have developed a strong mentoring program for our underclassmen that focuses on self worth and value, and have implanted large scale kindness initiatives aimed at helping every student feel welcomed and part of our great school.
*West Family Values
*Sources of Strength Peer Leaders are a diverse group of students who leverage their personal and collective leadership qualities as well as their social influence in leading the charge to impact multiple teen issues including suicide, bullying, violence, and substance abuse. Peer leaders work with caring adults at West to receive training to lead student forums, lessons, and trainings for all students.
At West, we focus on instructional strategies that promote higher order thinking skills, problem solving, and ownership.
- AP STEM Access School
- AP STEM Achievement School
- Advanced Placement Merit School
- 424 Advanced Placement Scholars in 2018
- 2147 AP exams taken in 2018 with 80% having a score of 3 - 5
- Four National Merit Semifinalists
- 334 Dual Enrollment classes taken in 2018
Advanced Placement Courses
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus AB/BC
- AP Chemistry
- AP Computer Principles
- AP Computer Science
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History
- AP Government
- AP Human Geography
- AP Macroeconomics
- AP Microeconomics
- AP Physics 1
- AP Physics 2
- AP Physics B
- AP Physics C
- AP Physics C: Mechanics
- AP Psychology
- AP Research
- AP Seminar
- AP Spanish Language
- AP Statistics
- AP Studio Art 2D/3D
- AP Studio Drawing
- AP US History
- AP World History
The West Forsyth High School family is proud to introduce our Academic Overdrive/FLEX Lunch program designed to improve student achievement as well as foster a sense of independence, choice, and belonging within our school community.
The FLEX Lunch program is designed to give students more flexibility and autonomy during the school day to help meet their academic goals and also provide a 50 minute flexible lunch period. Students can attend remediation, tutoring, and enrichment sessions during their lunch period instead of having to schedule these activities before or after school. Students can also make up missed tests and assignments during this time, and counselors are available to meet with students as well, all without missing valuable academic time.
The West family is committed to your child’s success and overall well-being and we are pleased to provide this opportunity in addition to teacher office hours and our Instructional Extension Program.
"I like having time in my day to study with friends, get help from my teachers, and go to the media center. My lunch time is so much more productive!" -Jordan Wright, WFHS Sophomore
WFHS offers a comprehensive experience that provides for career connections and prepares students to succeed.
As a West Forsyth family, we are working towards providing a more personalized approach to learning through cutting edge teaching pedagogy as well as logistical practices that will help to make our big school feel small.
Students have many choices in their curriculum to prepare them for success in college and careers.
Personalized Learning Options
- Georgia Virtual School (GAVS)
- Forsyth Virtual Academy (FVA)
- Dual-Enrollment (University of North Georgia, Georgia Tech)
- Work-based Learning
Career Technical Education
Our students gain experience and apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom through a multitude of Career and Technical Student Organizations. Their participation in state and national events provide West Forsyth students valuable leadership opportunities.
- AV Technology
- Food/Nutrition Science
- Computer Science
- Culinary Arts
- Marketing Management
- Fashion Marketing
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Teaching as a Profession
- Web Development
At West, students are encourage to BYOT, or Bring Your Own Device," to school to access coursework and assignments through our learning management system, its Learning.
Each classroom on campus also offers Chromebooks to students to access a wide variety of digital learning applications including Google Apps for Education, Nearpod, Office 365, and GALILEO. With a single login, students have access to dozens of research databases, web applications, and digital learning platforms.
"Be awesome! Have fun! Make this the best day ever! I am West Forsyth! We are Family!"
Every day at West, our students hear this familiar phrase. But these are more than just words - at West Forsyth High School, we strive to make everyone feel like part of the Family.
Every student at West is encouraged to find their place to serve, grow, and lead! Our thriving school culture is a result of our student involvement. West offers more than 100 extracurricular clubs and activities, fields 54 athletic teams across 25 sports, and provides over a dozen opportunities in the fine arts, including vocal and instrumental music, theater, art, and journalism.
WFHS offers a wide variety of girls, boys, and coed sports from which our student-athletes may choose. Our "Gulo Gang", (celebrated student section), parents, staff, and community fully support our athletic teams as we compete in Region 5-AAAAAAA, the largest and most visible region in the state.
- Boys and Girls Cross Country
- Coed Competitive Cheer
- Football Cheerleading
- Girls Softball
- Girls Volleyball
- Boys Wrestling
- Boys and Girls Basketball
- Boys and Girls Swimming and Dive
- Girls Cheerleading
- Game Day Cheer
- Boys Baseball
- Boys and Girls Golf
- Boys and Girls Lacrosse
- Boys and Girls Soccer
- Boys and Girls Tennis
- Boys and Girls Track
- Girls Gymnastics
- West Forsyth Boys Golf State Champions 2019
- Wolverine Football GHSA 2012 Region 6A Champs
- State Playoffs 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- West Forsyth Girls Gymnastics State Champions 2017, 2018, 2019
- Competition Cheer 3rd at State Championships 2016, 2017, 2018
- Girls Softball State Playoffs 2018
- Girls Volleyball State Playoffs 2018
- Boys JV Baseball Region Champs 2018
A fine arts education, including music, theater, drawing, painting, and sculpture, has been a part of any well-rounded curriculum for decades. At West Forsyth High School, students are encouraged to pursue their passions and creativity through our award winning Fine Arts programs.
Band/Music Technology/Music Theory
Drama/Musical Theatre/Technical Theatre
- 2019 Scholastic Art Competition - 4 gold keys, 4 silver keys, and 4 honorable mentions
- 2019 All State Art - 1 Finalist
- 2018 All State Art - 6 school finalists, 4 school winners
- 2018 CFUMC Festival of the Arts - 2 award winners
- 2019 Literary Runner Up Region 7A
- 1st Place Girls Solo
- 2nd Place Male Solo
- 1st Place Essay
- 2nd place Essay
- 2nd Place Dramatic Interpretation
- Theatre Ensemble Performed at 2019 State Thespian Conference
- Won Best Choreography National High School Musical Theater Awards 2018
- Won Best Musical Direction 2017
- Named Best Theater Program in the Southeast 2017
- Won Best Over All Performance 2016 National High School Musical Theater Awards
- Silver Award Over All Choral Performance Festival Disney 2018
- Best in Class Award Choral Festival Disney 2018
- Straight Superiors Festival Disney 2018
- All State Students every year since opening
- Superior ratings at GMEA Competition every year since opening
Created with an image by StartupStockPhotos - "student typing keyboard text woman startup business"