Section I: Create an Employer Account
Step One: Getting Started
- Visit the Handshake Registration Page and enter your corporate email address and desired password, then Sign Up. Company profiles are linked to an email domain, so signing up with your work email will help ensure you're connected with the right company.
Step Two: Enter Identifying Information
Enter the following information, then click on Next: Employer Guidelines.
Note: none of this information will be public to students unless you determine to make your profile public.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Phone Number: this is a free text field, format as desired
- Job Title: This is your personal job title, and not the job that you are recruiting for
- Types of students you're interested in recruiting on Handshake
There is not a way to add to this list, and the selections you make here do not hinder your ability to recruit students in any way, it's simply used for data purposes.
- Alma Mater & Graduation Year: If your Alma Mater is partnered with Handshake, this will create a contact entry for you at your Alma Mater, listed as an Alumni contact.
Note: Do not select which schools you're interested in recruiting from here.
Click on either Yes or No after the question "Are you a 3rd party recruiter working on behalf of another company?", then, click Next: Confirm Email.
- If you are a third party recruiter select answer Yes, then review and check the box to agree to Handshake's third party recruiter policy to move forward.
- If you are not a third party recruiter, select No.
Step Three: Verify Your Account
- The next page contains instructions on how to verify your account via the email address you provided.
- The email should arrive within 10 minutes and will contain a link enabling you to confirm your account.
- You must click this link before you can proceed with the registration process.
- When the email arrives, click the Confirm Email button to verify your account.
- When you click Confirm Email in your confirmation email, you will be brought back to Handshake. At this point, you'll need to either connect with an existing company profile or create a new company profile if yours doesn't exist in our system. The determination is based on the email you signed up with.
- If your company already exists in our system, the screen will display a list of company profiles associated with your email domain. If there is more than one, review the details for each profile. Click Request to connect with that company profile and then select Next: Connect to Schools.
- If you cannot find the correct company profile to connect with, click on contact us, under the "Not your company?" heading on the right. This will allow you to submit a ticket to our Support Team for further assistance.
- If no company pre-populates, you can use the search bar to find your company.
- If your company does not exist, you can click the Create New Company button on the right.
Step Four: Connect with Colleges & Universities
- Once you've requested to connect with or created a new company profile, you will be prompted to choose schools to connect to.
- Use the filters on the right side of the screen to narrow down schools by rank, region and location, or search for specific school names in the search bar at the top of the list.
- To request to connect with individual schools, click the + button to the right of the school. Then click Next: Finish.
Section II: Posting Your Job or Internship
You can post a job or internship that is targeted to Webster students for free. In order to post and have your position approved by Webster, it must meet the following standards:
- Your posting must adhere to NACE Principles of Professional Conduct for Employment Professionals.
- Position(s) cannot be domestic (e.g. Nannies/Babysitter, Private Tutors, Gardeners, Housekeepers, Drivers, and Personal Assistants etc.).
- Postings must not charge any fees to students as a condition of employment or participation.
Step One: Getting Started
- Log into Handshake using the email address and password you previously created.
- Click Post a Job from your home dashboard, or click on Jobs in the left hand navigation bar and click Create Job in the top right hand corner.
You will next be asked to complete 4 tabs in the posting. These include the job Basics, Details, Preferences, and Schools you'd like to post the position to. Make sure to select Webster University as one of the schools you would like to post the position to. You also have an option to use the Preview tab to see what your posting will look like.
Step Two: Fill-in Information
- If you have an external ATS, please select this option. A text field will load below the Job Title where you should enter the ATS information:
- When you click on "+ add an ATS/job code", the fields will load for the optional System Code and required URL:
- Job Title: Fill in the appropriate title in this text field.
- Company Division: If your company has Divisions set up, a drop down menu will appear right below job title. Make sure to select which division within your company you're hiring for. If you need help adding a division, check out this article here.
- Select if you want your name shown on the posting
- Add a Job Type
- Add an Employment Type & Duration: When selecting Temporary / Seasonal, you'll need to add both the start and end dates.
- Once you're finished with Job Basics, choose Next toward the bottom middle of the screen, or you can click the Details tab.
- Add a Description for your job: If you copy and paste a description from your own website, we'll retain all of the formatting for you
- Choose Job Roles from the dropdown: This helps students search for jobs by their functional area
This is a list of 350 Job Role groups identified to help students better identify opportunities.
- Add how many students you plan on hiring for this position: This does not affect your job in any way, but rather is used for historical, data, and tracking purposes.
- You can add a Job Salary if you'd like, however this is completely optional.
You can also toggle the dropdown on the right between per year / per month / per hour, or mark the job as an unpaid position
- Enter a location for your job: As you start typing the address, some suggestions will show up in the address field - you must select one rather than manually typing it in.
This can be a specific office location, or a general city like "Chicago, USA"
- If this position is located in multiple locations you can select Add Another Location
- If your job is in the United States, you'll see an additional "Eligibility for international students" section appear.
- Choosing a job location in the United States, will prompt a question: "Does this position require U.S. Work Authorization?" Choose yes or no as appropriate for your position.
- If you do select "yes", you'll see the following questions appear:
- Select either of the options that appear, or read more about them with the additional links provided within the product
- Finally, if you'd like for a student to submit documentation in Handshake, you can select Required documents which will be required for students to submit with their application.
TIP: If you're having students apply via your Direct ATS and don't want them to apply in Handshake at all, we recommend not selecting any documents here. If checked, these documents will prompt an applicant to first apply with these in Handshake.
Note: if documents are not required on the job, then you will be unable to select a contact to receive applicant notifications, and your contact information will not be displayed on the job.
- Once you're finished with Job Details, select Next, or click directly on the Job Preferences tab.
Note: all of these preferences are completely optional, and none of the preferences you add to this page will block students from applying for your job. We will show you candidates that meet all of your preferences, and those who don't. You can learn more in our article on Job Preferences.
- Add a Graduation date range for your job by specifying the earliest and latest graduation date for qualified applicants
If you prefer to qualify students by School Year - like Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, you can select the link below to toggle to that option instead.
- Add a Minimum GPA value
- Choose which Majors would make a student qualified for your job.
- By choosing a major category, you are mapping your major preference to each schools' individual term for that particular category.
- Even if the major name is different at a different schools, it will still get bucketed into this major category correctly
- Finally, configure who should receive Applicant Packages, and with what frequency.
Note: If you have not required a document type from applicants, this option will not appear.
Part-Time & Seasonal Jobs
Are you looking for a part-time or seasonal employee? Would you like to hire a Webster student? Career Planning & Development Center can help connect your local business or organization with Gorlok talent!
Here are options that will help promote your part-time or seasonal opportunities:
Send an electronic copy of your flyer to Julie McHugh at firstname.lastname@example.org. The flyer should include, Job Title, Brief Job Description, Compensation, and Contact information (name and contact title, phone, email).
- We can post your flyer on bulletin boards across campus in high-traffic areas.
- We can post your flyer on our Virtual Bulletin Board that we share with our Student Employment Program, faculty and staff that can help further promote to students.
Host an Information Table
For a small fee, Information Tables are available on Tuesday or Thursday, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm in a high traffic area on campus (University Center Commons or Edward Jones Commons). This is a low cost opportunity to briefly chat with students as they pass by and share information.
- You can schedule by sending three preferred dates to Julie McHugh at email@example.com.