WAR IN SIERRA LEONE...
- WHEN DID IT BEGIN: started in March 1991
- WHAT OCCURRED: RUF developed in 1991, tried to overthrow the government
- CHILD SOLDIERS:d soldiers are used for horrible acts because, being at a young age they are at a impresionable age, and sent to the front lines of combat.
- WHERE ARE THE CHILD SOLDIERS??
- Democratic Republic of Congo, Syria and Yemen
- Many of these country's are using child for military uses or sexual purposes
WHAT GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS ARE HELPING?
- Cultures of Resistance Network: campaign against child soldiers
- Child Soldiers international: they help child soldiers get access to school and transition into society, with all the help they need.
- Coalition to Stop the use of Child Soldiers: promote their rehabilitation and reintegration to society
WHAT IS THE UN DOING TO HELP?
- Launched a campaign to end recruitment of child soldiers
- UN has gotten 8 government to sign a 'action plan' to stop child soldiers
- AGE: 36 years old
- WHERE IS HE NOW?: a novelist, lives in New York, but in a few years 'return home' to Sierra Leone to his family
- COLLEGE: Oberlin College, Ohio
MUSIC INFLUENCE: Music to Ishmael was like an escape from his everyday reality
^ here's a video of some of the music Ishmael liked ^
- Earned a political science degree
- Graduated high school from the UN International School.
- Lived with a foster parent named Laura Simms
^ this is a video about what Ishmael experienced as a child soldier and