WHY AN EXTENDED ESSAY?
The extended essay is a unique opportunity for students to explore an academic area in which they have a personal interest. This takes the form of an independently written research paper that allows students to demonstrate their passion, enthusiasm, intellectual initiative and/or creative approach for their chosen topic.
The aims of the extended essay are for students to:
- engage in independent research with intellectual initiative and rigour
- develop research, thinking, self-management and communication skills
- reflect on what has been learned throughout the research and writing process.
Quality, not quantity, is the focus of the extended essay. The essay is to be the authentic, personal work of the student and to provide the student with the opportunity to engage in independent research. Emphasis is placed on the development of the skills of organizing and expressing ideas logically and coherently.
In working on the extended essay, students are expected to:
• plan and pursue a research project with intellectual initiative and insight
• formulate a precise research question
• gather and interpret material from sources appropriate to the research question
• structure a reasoned argument in response to the research question on the basis of the material gathered
• present their extended essay in a format appropriate to the subject, acknowledging sources in one of the established academic ways
• use the terminology and language appropriate to the subject with skill and understanding
• apply analytical and evaluative skills appropriate to the subject, with an understanding of the implications and the context of their research.