F. Scott Fitzgerald's book The Great Gatsby is about gender roles and reveals that some people in that time period believe it was okay to have double standards. This theme is shown through Tom Buchanan when he states that he can't believe his wife and running around with another guy, yet he's running around with another lady.
- "I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let mr.Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife. Well if that's the idea you can count me out" ( Fitzgerald 130)
- "Tom's got some woman in New York"(Fitzgerald 15)
- " What kind of a row are you trying to cause in my house anyhow"(Fitzgerald 129).
DAISY DIRECT- "Her face was sad and lovely with bright things in it, bright eyes and a bright passionate mouth, but there was excitement in her voice that men who had cared for found difficult to forget.."(Fitzgerald 13).
DAISY INDIRECT -“The instant her voice broke off ceasing to compel my attention, my belief, I felt the basic insincerity of what she had said. It made me uneasy, as though the whole evening had been a trick of some sort to exact a contributory emotion from me.”
NICK DIRECT-"I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth"
NICK INDIRECT-"Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known. "
- The weather is a huge factor in the great gatsby. WHEN gatsby and daisy first meet again it's all rainy and gloomy. This represents thier love. It's a sad love . They can't be with each other but they both know how much they love one and another .
- "Gatsby, pale as death with his hands plunged like weights in his coat pockets , was standing in a puddle of stare glareing tragically into my eyes "