*******INSERT UPDATED DEVELOPMENTS!!!!!!*******
After developing my idea to a place where I felt comfortable and sure of it, it was time to transfer my idea on to the computer. This was quite an interesting process because I actually found it very different to transferring my logo on to the computer even thought the same types of skills and principles applied. I think because with the logo, only one thing was on the page and I wasn't thinking about lots of different factors at one time, it was a lot simpler. I realised that knowing what exact angle I wanted and the numeric measurements of everything are so important. Or at least for me, I'm not comfortable with all the tools and just in illustrator or photoshop yet. Which means that not having the exact measurements and staring at a blank screen was very daunting. Eventually after figuring the finer details out I managed to transfer my development onto the computer as shown below.
Next in the typography unit was to create Typographic Portraits. I started by taking a picture of myself, with my head slightly angled to show my nose. As this makes the nose easier to fill with letters. We had the oppurtunity to do 3 different types of typographic portraits. 1) San-serif, so a font without a serif 2) Serif, a font with a serif 3) free choice, where we chose fonts that suited our personalities or were drawn to us. This part of the unit really made me think about the relationship between black and white. This part of learning isn't very well translated in what I created as it was quite a standard typographic poster. However, while looking at the typographic posters others towards the end of this section I realised how there doesn't always have to be a letter or shape in a space for something to be there. That sounds completely wrong, so what I mean is that the illusion of a line can be just as powerful. For example, I saw a peer who didn't place the typeface the whole way down his jaw, but I knew it was there. The negative space still created the illusion of the jaw being there based on its relationship with the surrounding positive space. It also was very tedious and quite slow, thinking about each letter. I especially struggled with facial features that are very recognisable or the features that define who a person is. So areas like the eyes, nose and mouth. Below are my three typographic posters:
Beyond the computer - #throwback
One of the most exciting parts of this unit was the lessons we spent in the art room, off the computers. After creating my typographic portrait, Mr.McGrath lazer cut them into something we could use to make prints. We rolled black ink on a glass table and tried to find the perfect amount of ink to use, I swear it was like trying to use how sticky the ink was against the roller as a science to find when there was the perfect amount of ink. Too much, letters were filled in and the print wasn't crips. Not enough ink and there wasn't the slick all black "printer" look, with white speckles. After placing paper onto the inked up portrait, we used the backs of spoons to get the perfect print. There was friction, there was heat, and let's just say there were quite a few people (aka me) that had a sore fore-arm the next day. After rubbing the ink in for quite a while (without waiting too long, as the ink would dry up) we flipped them over and stuck them on paper. Below are the prints I created, I could still have gotten a more picture perfect print but I think it was such a cool experience. It showed me how graphic isn't always ont he computer, all the time. Something different!