Courtesy of: Sara Davis Portraits
TOP 10 TIPS ... HOW TO have a ROCKIN’ SENIOR PORTRAIT SESSION :
- What to wear: You should bring at least 4-5 different looks to your session. We may not shoot them all, but it’s always great to have options. Think in shades of casual/cozy to more formal/dressy, but keeping all options in line with your personality and style. Think about necklines and a variety of textures of fabric, lace, etc.. Clothes that fit close to your body are more flattering in photos (no matter your body type -- baggy clothing is very difficult to pose). Think about colors that compliment your skin tones (colors that compliment your eyes, skin tone or hair are great). Layers are great (jackets, leather jackets, flannel shirts, etc.) to give us options. Try to avoid flashy or busy patterns that will distract from YOU. Jewelry will often become a distraction, but if there’s an accessory that you love, by all means bring it along and we can try it! Don’t forget shoes/boots/etc. and socks to go with each outfit! If there’s a prom dress or something in your closet that you love but never get to wear, please bring it!
- At least a week prior to your session: gather and TRY ON each complete outfit. Check that they are clean and that they still fit you well. Don't forget to include any undergarments needed (i.e. no striped undershirts/black bras under light shirts!!) and... please launder / press as needed.
- If step number two has left you uninspired, perhaps it’s time for a new outfit or two? (which is why step 2 is NOT the night before your session). Check out Pinterest for ideas (I have a fun senior photo style board and other portrait/style boards HERE), but keep in mind that your senior photos should be a direct reflection of YOU, as you are at this moment in your life.
- Wardrobe Portability: If we're on location somewhere other than in one of my studios, be sure that your wardrobe and accessories are packed in a way that we can carry them around with us if we're walking and put down on a sidewalk, without scattering or loosing items along the way!
- A few days prior, make sure you stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. Think of this as you would preparing for an audition or interview. This will help keep your skin clear and eyes bright! Don’t stress if you wake up with blemishes the day of your session (and don’t mess with them as it will generally make them worse -- let Photoshop do the magic there!)
- Nails + Eyebrows: this applies to girls AND guys -- clean up your eyebrows before your photo session! And your hands will likely be in at least a few photos, so make sure they look how you want them to look (i.e. fancy manicure is not necessary, but please, no chipped polish!)
- Exercise the week prior so you feel great IF that’s your thing -- but there’s no need to delay or dread your session so you can “lose a few pounds.” One of the major benefits of hiring a PROFESSIONAL is that he or she should know a number of posing tips to make you look your best and to flatter every and any body! (and this is one of my specialties!) And for goodness sake, get a good night's sleep before your session!
- Day of session: make sure you’ve familiarized yourself with directions to our meeting place and leave yourself time to negotiate traffic and parking. Nothing worse than arriving frazzled, except perhaps arriving late when there might be a session scheduled after yours. Losing out on session time stinks!
- If you’re getting professional makeup and/or hair, arrive with your face and hair clean and dry. If you wear makeup normally, feel free to bring a snapshot of how you’d like your makeup to look so your makeup artist can compliment your normal look, making it "camera ready." If you aren't getting a professional makeover, wear your normal shades of mascara/lip color, just be sure to refresh right before our session (even if you don't normally wear makeup, mascara and lip tint is great to highlight your features but still look natural). And guys, a bit of chap-stick is a great thing to bring for hydrated, non-cracked lips!
- Trust that you’ve hired a photographer who has experience and will be able to direct you to share your most awesome sides, empower you, and bring out your personality for the best photos you’ve ever seen of yourself!
The only thing left for you to do is to RELAX into the session and be yourself. HAVE FUN and allow your photographer to direct you through this experience and capture you at your best!!
Contact me: 618-917-1916, email: email@example.com