The first letter was a lowercase "k" in the Apple Chancery font. I rotated four to make a box in the middle. From there, I copied the four and repeated the pattern.
Next, I chose an "S" in the same font. I repeated the S's in a slanted pattern to give the illusion of chain links, swirls, or vines. It depends on how you look at them.
This was for a word art project, where I hand lettered words/phrases into the shape of an animal. My chosen subject was two phoenix-like birds circling to touch. The wording is in Latin. On the ice Phoenix is written Finis Glacium, which roughly translates as "End Ice" or "Ice of the End." The fire Phoenix is made with the words Principum Inis, or "Fire of the Beginning." I started with hand sketches, then worked digitally. The black and white digital version was made in Adobe Illustrator. That was then taken into Photoshop to create the color effects for the last version on this grid.
A Simple Thermometer - A Magazine Layout Practice
This was a writing and layout project based off of an object of personal sentimental value. A great chance to try out a colorful, geometric layout for this spread. Complete with fake page numbers and colorful boxes. Made in Adobe InDesign.
Personal Logo Trial
Trying to make a personal logo. This is similar to the Wall Art I made before this. The font is Apple Chancery. I also used a white wallet and a blank business card to use as mock-ups. I think it looks wonderful on a white background!
Personal Monogram Roughs
A bunch of roughs for a personal monogram. All made in Adobe Illustrator.
This was a creative challenge: to create thumbnails of 50 distinctly different arrows. I had a lot of fun, and came up with ideas ranging from obvious to obscure, detailed to simple, and all in between. Personal fave is number 10.
A Glassy Cascade
This was a simple trial of different Photoshop effects. This uses several layers of the word "cascade," with transparent letters and shading and highlighting to create an overall glassy effect. I copied the same effects to the background, made with a simple rainbow radial gradient.
This was made in Adobe Illustrator, with a self challenge of only using triangles to create this beautiful bird. It looks almost like origami in how the triangles meet. The whole bird was copied and made black to create the shadow behind.
A Mountwest Christmas
This was a Christmas card design for Mountwest Community & Technical College. Made in Adobe Illustrator (one of my favorite programs), this features several subtle gradient meshes and glow effects. The set includes layouts for the card and graphics for the website and the on campus TV displays.
Social Media Graphic
This is a simple Facebook banner. Each item on this banner is a separate image, staged at nearly the same angle, and cut out to give the illusion of it all being dropped on this space.
This is a creative challenge of morphing two different animals into a new one. I chose a simple house snake and fruit bat to create the illusive "Snakebat!"
Halloween Cinquain Poem
A somewhat dark Chinquapin poem that I wrote. Made in Photoshop, I painted this background and made two versions: a more normal, melancholic grey sky version, and an ominous red sky version.
A personal project, using specialty fonts, colors and imagery to express meaning and emotion.
Mountwest Graduation Invitation
This is a design made for the 2017 Mountwest commencement ceremony. Made in Photoshop with only one color in different levels of opacity to create a more dynamic hierarchy.
This paper mache dragon mask was made in several steps. First, I used flower wire to make a base. (It's the green wire in the wire frame to the top left.) Then, I filled the space with more malleable white wire. I covered the outside and inside with tape to give it a full surface. Then, I considered the color. I wanted it to be black with purple markings. So I couldn't use a black base because purple paint wouldn't look right. I decided on using purple paper, which I dipped into a mixture of glue and water to make the surface. I painted the mask black and left where I wanted the markings blank to stay purple. I added some beads and trinkets for some final touches.