Rivalry in the Northwest
Would you like to know some facts of the "Rivalry in the Northwest"?
- The Oregon Country was a huge area located north of Californian, between the Pacific Ocean and Rocky Mts.
- In the early 1800's, four nations claimed the vast, rugged land known as the Oregon Country. The United States based its claim of Robert Gray's discovery of the Columbia River in 1792 and the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Adams - Onis Treaty
Would you like to know some facts about the Adams - Onis Treaty.
- In 1819 Secretary of State John Quincy Adams got spanish to approve the Adams - Onis Treaty.
- The Americans wanted control of Oregon in order to gain access to the Pacific Ocean.
- After awhile animals started to die fast and they ran out of food and clothes so they moved to Oregon and settled on farms.
Question: What did American gain from the Adams-Onis Treaty?
Answer: The Americans gained a lot of land from the countries Russia and Spanish.
Oregon and Manifest Destiny - Marcus and Narcissa Whitman
- In 1830's Americans began traveling to the Oregon Country to settle.
- In 1836 the Americans built a mission among the Cayuse people near the present side of Walla, Walla, Washington.
- In the 1840's, New York newspapers editor John O'Sullivan expressed in more specific words the idea of a national mission.
Question: How did Polk's views differ from Clay's in the 1844 election?
Answer: Polk was set on getting the Oregon Country to add to the US territory.
Statehood for Florida and Texas
Question: How did Florida become a state?
Answer: There was a bill signed saying Florida should become part of our Union, the bill was signed by President Tyler, July 17th of 1821.
- Florida became a state on July 17th of 1821.
- Tallahassee became the territorial capital in 1824
- Cotton, and tobacco plantations were established in the northern part of Florida.
- In 1821 Mexico won Independence from Spain .
- In 1830 Mexico issued a decree, which in official document or order.
- In 1835 the conflict grew violent. Mexico General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna took an army into Texas to punish the Rebals.
- The Texans had only 180 soldiers to take on Santa Anna's army of several thousand.
- On March 6th of 1836, Mexican cannon fire smashed the Alamo walls.
- The Alamo was defenders had been defeated, but they had bought the Texans time to gather troops and supplies.
Texas Declares its Independence
- On March 2nd of 1836 Texas declared there independence.
- On April 21st, the Texans launched a surprise attack, shouting " Remember the Alamo ", they killed more than 600 and and captured 700 people and that was including Santa Anna.
The Long Star Republic
- In September 1836, Texans elected Sam Houston ad their president.
- Andrew Jackson, however, refused their request.
Texas Becomes a State
- Many Texans wanted to join the United States, but couldn't
- In 1845 Texas joined the Union.
Question: Why did it take a long time for the United States to annex Texas?
Answer: Andrew Jackson refused because it would offset the balance between slave and free states
War With Mexico
Question: How did the Santa Fe trail benefit the New Mexico?
Answer: The trail was flat so then wagons could pass it easy.
The New Mexico Territory
- In the early 1800's the land called New Mexico was a vast region between the Texas and the California Territories.
- In 1821 New Mexico won it's Independence.
- In 1821 William Becknell was the 1st American to reach Santa Fe.
Question: How did William B. influence the American settlement of New Mexico?
Answer: To move and keep people safe.
California's Spanish Culture
- Spanish explorers and missionaries from Mexico settled in California in the 1700's.
- In the 1840's, more Americans reached California.
- On April 25, 1846, Mexican troops attacked Taylor's Forces.
- On May 13, Congress passed a declaration of war against Mexico.
- Presidant James K. Polk
A War Plan
- Polk planned 3 important goals they he accomplished to defeat Mexico.
- By 1847, Zachary Taylor had accomplished the first goal that Polk had planned.
- On June 14th, of 1846 The Americans declared California independent.
- In September 1847, six months after Scott's forces landed in Veracruz, and they final captured Mexico's capital .
- Defeated on February 2, 1848, Mexico's leaders signed the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
- With Oregon and the former Mexican territories under the american flag, the dream of Manifest Destiny and had been realized.
Question: What did America gain from the Mexican War?
Answer: They got a treaty for the owner ship of California and Texas.
California and Utah
Question: How did the discovery of gold help California?
Answer: Make Money
cALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH
- When gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill in 1848.
- About 300 men arrived from China, the first large group of Asian Immigrates to settle in America.
Question: How did the California Gold Rush lead to the expansion of cities?
Answer: They made so much money that they could build new things.
A religious Refuge in Utah
- While the Gold Rush was transforming California, change was also talking place in nearby Utah.