Constraints: (Must do)
- Must be completed in 1.5 hours
- Has a range of textures
- Must preserve some of their food
- Must be balanced in flavours
- Must be completed by May 1st
- Create your preserved into the menu
- Product a sample of your preservation as well as a simple café menu that incorporates our preserve
Considerations: (Could do)
- What you will make
- Sustainable food
- What equipment you will have available
Websites I used:
Preserving Lemons video
How I did it
Cut lemons into quaters. I used 2
In a jar, layer thewedges of lemons between layers of salt.
Push the lemons down to release the juice, keep going until it fills the jar.
Lemon Tart recipe
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 125g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon chilled water
- 2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cream
- 4 eggs
- Lemon rind, finely grated
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Thick cream, to serve
Step 1- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm pie dish.
Step 2- Combine flour, butter and sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add yolk and chilled water. Process until dough just comes together. Kneed untill smooth and put in refrigerator for 15 mins.
Step 3- Line prepared dish with pastry. Trim edges, using scraps to patch any short sides. Chill for 15 mins.
Step 4- Mix together eggs, sugar, juice and rind and cream. Pour into prepared tart shell. Bake for 30-35 mins, until just set, but still a little wobbly. Cool in pan.
Step 5- Line pastry with baking paper and fill with rice or pastry weights. Blind bake for 15 mins. Remove paper and weights and bake for another 5 mins. Cool in pan.
Lemon Tart Video