Landforms and Bodies of Water
- The largest of these is the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Central Africa is located in Earth's equatorial zone and that is the area along the equator.
- it dwarfs it's neighbors, which are the Central African Republic, the Republic of the Congo, Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, and the island country of Sao Tome and Principe.
- Here, rugged mountain ranges soar above a broad, deep valley that holds several long, narrow lakes
- Mountain peaks rise to more than 11,000 feet.
- A narrow coastal plain lies between the mountains and the Indian Ocean.
Bodies of Water
- The first major fiver is the Zambezi.
- The second major river is Limpopo.
- The third major river is Orange.
- Which type of land form is common in Southern Africa?
The plateaus, Mountains and hills.
- southern Africa's climate is humid to arid to hot to cool.
- nearly all of the climates have distinctive seasons with certain seasons receiving most of the rain.
- Winters are cool, with frosts and sometimes freezing temperatures on the high plateaus.
- most of the rain falls during the summer, with very little the rest of the year.
- Temperatures along the coast are mild, however, with daily averages ranging from 48 degrees F to 68 degrees F ( 9 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius ).
- The area is sometimes called the "Skeleton Coast" because many ships used to lose their way in the fog and run aground.
- Why are temperatures in Southern Africa's tropical countries generally not hot?
It is because of high elevation.
Natural Resources (Question)
- What natural resources are found in Southern Africa, and why are they important?
they have mineral resources they are important because it helps build a strong economy.
South Africa's Resources
- It is the world's largest producers of diamonds both gems and industrial diamonds, or diamonds used to make cutting or grinding tools.
- These resources, along with important deposits of coal, iron ore, uranium, copper, and other minerals, have created a thriving mining industry.
- The regions river are are another resource for providing power.
- Oil and gas must be refined or changed into other products before they can be used.
Minerals and other Recources
- Namibia is an important producer of tin, zinc, copper, gold, silver, and uranium.
- In countries outside Southern Africa, groups have also mined diamonds to pay for rebellions and other violent conflicts.
- Wildebeests, lions, zebras, giraffes, and many other animals are found across the region of South Africa.
- How does deforestation affect the energy supply in the region?
- sediment enters the rivers and it reduces the water flow and the electricity.