Reality of Soccer and Sports by: Angel espinoza

Sports are a very significant to people and even the world. I mean people pay to watch people that are good at the sport to play. There are tons of sports out there that you can make a living out of, but I will be talking about one of the most popular sports in history. Football, the beautiful game of football was watched by 3.572 billion people around the world when the 2018 FIFA World Cup took place in Russia. The origins of football came from England and first became a sport in 1863. The game of football involves two teams of eleven players both teams on different side of a rectangular field. The objective of the game is to score on the opposing by putting the ball in a goal at the end of the field without letting the ball touch your hand. Football has become a big part of world over the past years and only seems to keep getting bigger and of course as with anything there are people that are spectacular at the sport. One of the most recognizable being Pele, Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Diego Maradona, Zinedine Zidane, and many others. These players are icons and inspiration to kids all across the world and cause the sport to become very popular in teens and kids. Even though there it is the most popular sports in the world it could come with consequences when it comes to high school.


There are many other sports that could require this things, maybe some sports are easy to get into and other might be harder to get into, but in the end they all require dedication. Soccer could be one of those sports. Soccer is a very popular sport in the city with the population of about 40,000, Paso Robles. Paso Robles has several soccer fields and sports facilities. Soccer is especially popular in their one and only high school, Paso Robles High School. This High School provides a variety of sports to their students including Soccer, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Tennis, Golf, Water Polo and many more. During 2018 tryouts for Men's Soccer there were approximately 200 students. Most of the students were cut by not having the grades to participate in the sport which leaves us to a question. Do sports affect students' education?

The Chances

There is a big consequence to sports when it comes to the school and the students of Paso Robles High School. That consequence being that sports affect a big percentage of students have sports affecting their education. That number being 100%!!! That's right every single student that took the survey that I provided said that sports affected their education. You might think that if their playing sports while they still affect their education it must be important to them, right? Well when asked why they play sports 42.9% of them said they want to make a career out of it the rest of the 57.1% of them responded that they played sports for fun or because they wanted to stay in shape. Do you think sports are necessary if they eat up your time and you are at a point in life where education decides the rest of your life? Well it depends on your perspective. If you’re looking for a life with a healthy lifestyle and you could manage time then sports would be a great decision. Sports would as well be a great option if you’re looking for a sports scholarship, but there is a problem with that. According to the NCAA there are 150,000 athletic scholarships given out each year and according to Quora there are about 16,000,000 students in the U.S.. CBS News claimed that the chances of getting an athletic scholarship are 2%. This makes us question are sports really worth it?

It just depends on how you look at it. If you have the dedication, if you have the mindset and if you have the hunger for it you could make it to the professional leagues. Even if you are horrible at the game and can’t do anything, but you put in all the hard work and have the hunger to learn how to play you could make it to the big leagues. Most of the best soccer players in history came from a poor family. This just shows that no matter where you are from or who you are you could achieve anything you want as long as you have the dedication, mindset and hunger for it.

Carlos Gomez crossing the ball to the other side of the field to his open teammate at Sherwood Park
Carlos Gomez taking his time and looking for the good pass to a teammate at Sherwood Park
Juan Hernandez dribbling up the field and looking for the right space to attack at Sherwood Park


Angel Espinoza

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a copyright violation, please follow the DMCA section in the Terms of Use.