There are 4 types of non-renewable energy:
- Natural gas (fracking)
- Coal (mining)
- Nuclear (The big towers which ruin the countryside)
Non-renewable energy is something which we burn with the exception of nuclear.
Fossil fuels are formed from the decomposition of organic material. This is exposed for to heat and pressure which forms the fuel. The process lasts around 300 million years, to put that into perspective, that's before the dinosaurs and homo sapiens have only been around for about 200,000 years. We have only been around for 0.067% of the time it takes to make fossil fuels... so we ain't going to be making any more!
It is predicted that oil and natural gases will run out around 2060 - 2070 but coal will last about double that time. Still, 2060 is not a long way away.
Around 80 percent of nuclear power stations are light water reactors. An artificial chain reaction is made inside a container of water. This turns the water into steam which then powers a turbine then a generator.
- Non-renewable energy is so much more time efficient.
- A lot more power is made.
- Fossil fuels are reliable and always meet demand
- There not just for electricity, a large amount of homes still use gas hobs and ovens and most cars are run on petrol or diesel
- Adding to greenhouse gases is heating up our climate which will be disastrous in years to come.
- Accidents can happen, for instance: Chernobyl - Doctors estimated that 150,000 abortions were performed to healthy babies just because of the fear of radiation (radiophobia)
- Non-renewable sources are pretty ugly, e.g cooling towers, coal mining
- It's not very nice to smell the polluted air
- It kills the wildlife. -nuclear power plants have to dispose of the waste. "Low-level and intermediate wastes are buried close to the surface." Lets say Jeff the squirrel is digging to hide his stash of acorns and then stumbles across some nuclear waste.
Now Jeff looks like this.