- SUNY Purchase home to The Purchase Panthers, participates as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division III. The Panthers are a member of the Skyline Conference which was formed on May 16, 1989, as a men’s basketball conference. Now the conference conducts championships in 17 sports – nine for men and eight for women. As an integral part of the conference The Purchase Panthers Men's Basketball team has 4 won conference championships , and made five straight league final appearances from 2009-10 to 2013-14, while the women's team has made it to the playoffs as the second seed time and time again. Despite, The Panthers success throughout the years the number of attendees at HOME games for Purchase has been very low in relation to other schools in its conference.
- In 2014-2015 the skyline conference ( Attendance Report) reported the number of attendees for an average home games at Purchase College Men's games were 103 attendees, and Women's games were 67 attendees. Purchase College would like to change those numbers for its upcoming 2017-2018 Women's & Men's Basketball.
WHO IS OUR target:
Purchase College is a school KNOWN for THE ARTS! What better way to cater to an audience other then BASKETBALL FANS, then to incorporate THE ARTS , into HOME GAMES , and AREAS throughout the athletic building . The Panther's Art Initiative will enlist the work of the student body from THE SCHOOL OF THE ARTS .
- Purchase Panther Statistics
- Purchase College Major Demographics
- 2014-2015 statistics show 40% of Purchase College's student body is enrolled in the School of the Arts.
- Students in the 18-25 age demographic
- Attending Purchase College
- Whom are in 1 of the 4 Conservatories at Purchase College (Theater, Music, Dance and Visual Arts)
- Want to brand themselves outside of the conservatory
- Diverse Ethnicity
Given the background information in the situational analysis , in order for Purchase College Women's & Men's Basketball team to increase there attendance the target market for The Panther's Art Initiative are students whom are in 1 of the 4 Conservatories at Purchase and make up the 40% of the student body . Though the Purchase Panthers have already developed a fan base , to whom are active attendees to HOME games. We believe bridging the gap between the Purchases Athletic Department and the School of the Arts will spark an increase in attendance.