Notes Week 5
Students are expected to bring their instruments home everyday! Practice time should be around 15-20 minutes of playing and 15 minutes of practicing note names, positions, and holding the instrument properly with good posture. Please encourage your child to practice!
The more you practice, the better you get. The better you get, the more you want to practice! It is a wonderful cycle!
Brass and woodwind instruments should be practicing:
- Rhythm Rockers Unit 1 and Unit 2 in the binder
- Page 8 and 9 behind their Instrument Instruction tab in the binder
- Essential Elements book pages 6 and 7
- Review 5 minute theory lessons 1-8
- Note Names!
If your child needs after school help, please sign up for a time using the button below. The student needs to sign in using their school Google account. Please only sign up for ONE time slot initially. We want to make sure that everyone has an opportunity and there are almost 100 band students this year! This is not a replacement for private lessons!
Main Event—Friday, September 21
· Students wear your band T-shirt!
· The school does not provide transportation to and from the event. We will be at the Main Event at 3941 Central Expressway, Plano, TX.
· A Parent will need to sign their student in at 5:30 pm—due to the weather tonight, we will squeeze in the lobby area with the other organizations. It will be tight, but please be patient. We will do the best we can!
· Once signed in, students will receive their wristbands, meal tickets and FUNcard.
· Let the playing commence!
· By 8:00 pm, parents need to sign out their student (again, outside if weather permitting).
· When you arrive to pick up your child, text to let them know you are here so they can meet you at the front, or just head inside to find them.
· We will have people stationed at the front entrance asking if you have signed your child out before leaving and directing you to where to go if you have not. Please understand they are just doing what we ask them to do! We want to make sure every child is signed out before leaving. This will save the band directors panic moments and late phone calls to you asking if you have your child!
· Please be patient, we have over 80 band students attending the event! There will also be orchestra, choir, and art students as well. If you have a child in band and one in orchestra, choir, or art, you will need to stand in both lines. We have a lot of students and very limited space. We do the best we can to get students in and out in a timely manner, but patience is appreciated!
· If someone other than you will sign out your child, please send an email or note in advance.
If you did not sign up and pay in advance, you can still attend, but will not be able to get the discounted price. You will need to buy everything separately at the regular price--just check with the front desk at Main Event.
We are looking forward to a great night!
Tuesday, September 25 will be our annual Fundraiser kick-off day! Our goal is to raise enough money to pay for our Band Festival at the end of the year including judges fees, transportation, lunch, AND the student's ticket to the water park! We encourage everyone to participate and will accept donations as well!
Students will be selling amazing cookie dough (it really is that good) and several other items, including an online store for those friends and family who live out of the area. Your student will be bringing home the information Tuesday.
- The fundraiser will run from Tuesday, September 25, to Tuesday, October 9.
- All money and order forms (in the large fundraising envelope) are due on Tuesday, October 9.
- Students collect money when their customers place their orders. Checks payable to SCIS Band.
- Cookie dough will be delivered to SCIS on Wednesday, November 7. Students and parents are responsible for picking up the cookie dough after school on November 7th and delivering it to their customers.
21—Main Event Band Social—5:30 to 8:00
25—Fundraiser Kick-off—SCIS—all day
28—Leopard Friday—LHS Stadium—6:30 pm—The middle school bands perform with the high school band at pre-game. Go watch and enjoy! This is you next year!
9—Fundraiser Ends, money turned in—all day
22—After School Rehearsal—SCIS—3:00 to 4:30
23—1st Band Concert—SCIS Gym—6:30 to 7:00 (student call time 6:00 pm)
The Foundation For Music Education Honors Lovejoy Percussion Ensembles
Congratulations to our very own Mr. Lewis and the Lovejoy High School Percussion ensemble for being named a National Winner in the Mark of Excellence/National Wind Band Honors Project.
And to the Willow Springs Middle School Percussion Ensemble who was also named a National Winner in the Mark of Excellence/National Wind Band Honors Project.