Are you ready to embark on a great adventure in one of the most beautiful photographically diverse regions in the world during the peak of Fall... the Pacific Northwest?
I AM MORE THAN READY TO LEAD!
My workshops are designed to give you access to the most amazing locations with the best atmosphere and for me to provide expert instruction (as much or as little as requested) on and off shooting times enabling you to have the adventure of a lifetime all while increasing your photography skills and producing incredible images! - Mark Metternich
As Spring and Fall reach their peaks, the Pacific Northwest literally explodes with diverse photogenic beauty around every corner!
Some of the places in our sights are: select Columbia River Gorge waterfalls in Oregon and Washington, the Columbia Hills, Mt. St Helen's, the beautiful rock formations found on the Oregon Coast (such as, but not limited to, Thor’s Well, Cape Kiwanda, Bandon Beach, Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach, Yachats, Boardman State Park, Shore Acres, Mt. Hood, Crater Lake, the Painted Hills, Smith Rock, Sparks Lake, the Alvord Desert, Proxy Falls, the Olympic Rainforest, the Olympic Coastline, Mt Jefferson, Broken Top, Mt. Rainier, the McKenzie River and the Palouse Falls just to name a few!
The approach is, to literally chase the light with improvisation, flexibility and intelligent response to the changing weather conditions.
I've become a expert and "legend" at catching the greatest light!
A loose and flexible itinerary will be implemented as we allow the weather/lighting conditions to dictate our movements. Note that all the desires of the group are always taken into very careful consideration as well as the changing weather patterns so that you are in the very best locations at the very best times for the best opportunities for outstanding lighting and dramatic imagery.
North, South, East or West, get ready to explore the awesome Northwest from gorge, to mountain, to high desert, to coastline and so much more, all of it prime for epic imagery and adventure.
Image: "Sparks At Sparks Lake", Copyright Mark Metternich Photography, LLC.
For over 10 years now, my “Ultimate Pacific Northwest" workshops have been among my most popular and favorite workshops to lead!
THE ULTIMATE PACIFIC NORTHWEST WORKSHOPS
2019 October 21-25 *Fall $1949
2020 May 18-22 *Spring
2020 October 26-30 *Fall $2049
- 7 Spots Available Per Workshop
- A minimum deposit to hold your spot is $1000 with the remaining balance due at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the workshop. Once you click to reserve your space, you will be sent an invoice with more detailed instructions on how to pay for your reservation.
- After your payment has been made you will receive an email confirmation and later the following forms: Workshop Questionnaire, Waiver/Release, General Supply List and Fundamental Keys to Mastering Post Processing Workflow. I will also be scheduling a time to connect with you over the phone to discuss your goals for the workshop and answer questions you may have. We will also keep in close contact leading up to the workshop to help arrange travel and lodging, as well.
- *Includes 1 Free Bonus Day of Post Processing Instruction
- Nonlinear itinerary ranging from Oregon to Washington. We Chase the light! We go where the opportunity for dramatic light and atmosphere leads best determined by my careful constant expert study of the weather during the workshop.
- If flying into workshop recommended airport is Portland Airtport, PDX. Meet and greet will be for dinner the night before the workshop begins. Location to be determined based on weather systems. ( Will keep in close contact leading up to workshop to assure all attendees have appropriate lodging and meet point)
- Locations range from waterfalls, to high desert, mountains and dramatic Pacific coastlines. This workshop covers the most vast array of landscapes of all of my Ultimate Workshops.
- Workshop is 5 days 4 nights. We meet up the night before the workshop begins usually at a restaurant to "break the ice" and get to know each other and discuss possible plans of locations depending on weather research, desires of each client for workshop, discussion of any additional supplies we will need to pick up before workshop begins at sunrise.
- Photographing will be sunrise and sunset (with the exception of the post processing instructional day) during the workshop dates to account for the most dramatic light with possible opportunities in between during travels to each new location.
- We will usually be able to eat at a restaurant for breakfast(s)/lunch(s) after shooting sunrise and some dinners. Other meals will be eaten on the road and we will pick up a cooler and non-perishables on the road.
- For possible private workshops around those dates or further questions email me at Mark@markmetternich.com
Please note that over the years I have found a certain percentage of participants that desire a linear-type itinerary outlining where we will be each day, and at what time we will be doing what… I conscientiously choose to not lead my workshop/tours this way!
My main goal is always to put you in the very best locations at the very best times for the very best opportunities for the best imagery. The only way this can happen most often is by being very flexible and intelligently reacting to the weather conditions. Due to seasonal and weather changes, locations will be decided on a day to day basis, possibly, occasionally subject to change at a given moment. In making decisions for the group, my methodology is to watch the weather closely, apply intuition, experience, guesswork, and also take into consideration the photographic needs/desires of all the individuals in the group. The workshops that plan out everything in advance are rarely at the best places at the best times!
- We will meet up the THE NIGHT BEFORE the first scheduled day of workshop at 6:30 pm, at a predetermined location (to be determined).
- We will seek to book a large vacation rental or hotel rooms outside of Portland where the group can stay overnight to break the ice and prepare for a day of free intensive Post Processing Training, gather our supplies and go over the plans for the workshop ahead. During this time we can discuss in detail your goals and desires for the workshop.
- *Cost of lodging to be split by attendees and usually much less expensive than cost of hotel room. Those that wish to car camp from their vehicles will be able to do so on site and will not be liable for sharing the cost of the lodging. If able to book a vacation rental, dinner the first night & breakfast during the Post Processing Training will be provided at no cost to you.
LODGING & TRANSPORTATION
- Clients will be expected to either rent a vehicle during the duration of the workshop or drive their own *Not included in cost of workshop. We can recommend reliable companies we've used with great success on past workshops. This vehicle must have fold flat seats to enable "car-camping" as some evenings we may sleep out in the field. If interested in renting a vehicle with someone attending the workshop (shared rental) this may be an option and we can assist in coordinating.
- Car-camping in the field will be the may be a source of lodging but as applicable we can book private/shared hotel rooms. We will advise as needed which hotels are available. *Hotel stays are not included in the price of the workshop.
- During Post Processing/Training Instruction day we will secure a large B&B or hotel private/shared rooms. If we are able to book a B&B the cost should not exceed approximately $75-100 and will bill you at time of stay. If we decide to book a hotel for this time we will have you book directly with them.
- Almost all levels of fitness will acceptable on this workshop.
- Physical activity expected: hiking 2-4 miles with camera gear (in a day).
- Post Processing: As a leading educator in post processing 15+ years (Lightroom, Camera Raw, Photoshop) one EXTRA full day will be set aside for extensive post processing training, in a pleasant hotel or B&B. All attendees will have the option of developing their specific skill sets much further, and no topic will be avoided. The general curriculum will be based on each person in the group’s specific educational goals.
- Hands On Instruction: From the moment we meet up we will be connecting regarding every aspect of landscape photography, from composition to technical specifics of post processing. I will be available for one-on-one instruction (as much or as little as requested) in the field for camera settings, composition suggestions etc. and after shooting in depth discussion with all of your questions answered. During the workshop we will try to set aside special time to go over post processing training.
- You will need to bring a laptop you will need to have either Lightroom AND Photoshop installed, or Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. The more updated the versions, the better skills and training I can give you! Photoshop CC 2014 is highly recommended! Having only Lightroom will not be appropriate for the skills I need to teach. I work comfortably in both Mac and PC.
All Images Copyright Mark Metternich Photography, LLC.