HOME SWEET HOME
UChicago 72, #22 Rochester 65
Maroons senior and Rochester product Jake Fenlon led the way with 24 points as UChicago upset #22 Rochester Sunday, 72-65.
- Jake Fenlon finished 6-of-16 from the floor – all 3s – and added three assists to lead UChicago, and Barthel recorded a double-double with 11 points and 13 rebounds. Noah Karras finished with nine points, Jake Berhorst chipped in eight off the bench and Ryan Jacobsen pulled down 10 rebounds, including six offensive.
- FRIDAY, FEB. 2: Emory at UChicago, 8 PM CT
- SUNDAY, FEB. 4: Rochester at UChicago, 11 AM CT
#13 Emory 71, UChicago 66
The Maroons had the Eagles on the ropes for most of the contest, but Emory battled back late in the setback.
- Senior guard Jake Fenlon led the Maroons with 19 points, junior Noah Karras added 11 points and senior Collin Barthel recorded a team-best 11 rebounds to lead the visitors.
ALL ALONE IN FIRST PLACE
A convincing victory at #7 Rochester Sunday gave the Maroon women's basketball team its 14th-straight win and put now-#16 UChicago in sole possession of the UAA's top spot.
#19 UChicago 74, #7 Rochester 59
- Ola Obi paced the squad with 22 points, 11 rebounds and six steals on 10-for-18 shooting. It marked her tenth double-double of the season.
- Mia Farrell was next in the scoring column with 16 points. Taylor Lake added eight points and seven rebounds. Senior guard Madison Dunbar made all four of her shots to end up with eight points.
- FRIDAY, FEB. 2: Emory at UChicago, 6 PM CT
- SUNDAY, FEB. 4: Rochester at UChicago, 1 PM CT
#19 UChicago 79, Emory 61
- Junior forward Olariche Obi had another big night offensively for the visitors, pouring in 22 points on 9-of-14 shooting to go along with five rebounds, three steals, and two assists.
- Sophomore teammate Taylor Lake added 17 points, seven boards and three blocks and classmate Mia Farrell had 14 points, three assists and two steals.
The University of Chicago swimming & diving teams split up Saturday to compete at both DePauw and Lake Forest, and every Maroon team won en route to a total of 37 event titles.
- Sophomore Agnes Lo broke the school record in the 3-meter diving event with a score of 298.95 at Lake Forest.
- At DePauw, the Maroon women won every swimming event but one, led by three individual event titles by Nadia Redza (100 breaststroke, 200 breaststroke, and 400 IM) and she contributed to the win the in 200 medley relay.
- First-year Margaret Wolfson won two individual events (200 free and 100 free) and on the men's side, junior Michael Todd won two events (200 butterfly and 200 backstroke) and was a part of the winning 200 medley relay.
- At Lake Forest in short-course racing, first-year Tucker Rivera captured both the 400 IM and the 200 breaststroke and helped the 200 medley relay take top honors. On the women's side, it was junior Daria Wick who won two events – the 500 free and the 100 free – and she was also a member of the winning 200 free relay squad.
- Saturday, Feb. 3: UChicago at Illinois-Chicago Diving Invite
The #9 UChicago men's and women's tennis teams started the 2018 spring season with a high note, as both squads defeated NCAA Division II opponent Lewis Saturday at XS Tennis Village.
Saturday, Feb. 3 @ 1:00 PM – Hope College at UChicago (XS Tennis Village)
- On the women's side, UChicago edged out Lewis 5-4.
- The Maroons got singles victories from first-years Claire Handa (No. 2) and Catherine Xu (No. 3) and sophomore Estefania Navarro (No. 5). Xu pulled out a third-set tiebreaker for the 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3) victory.
- On the men's half, the Maroons prevailed over the Flyers 7-2. The hosts went up 2-1 after wins of 8-4 and 8-5 at second and third doubles, respectively. UChicago then cruised through singles play, taking five of six in straight sets.
- Sophomore Ninan Kumar (No. 5 singles/No. 2 doubles) and first-year Justin Lee (No. 6 singles/No. 3 doubles) were multi winners and only surrendered four singles games combined.
The Maroon men's and women's track and field teams both turned out solid performances at last week's Grand Valley State meet in Grand Rapids, Mich.
Friday-Saturday, Feb. 2-3: Windy City Invitational hosted by UChicago, 2:30pm/11:30am CT, Henry Crown Field House
Women's Top Finishes
- High Jump – 1st, Laura Darcey, 1.62 meters; 6th, Ade Ayoola, 1.57m
- 5000 meters – 5th, Claire Brockway, 18:01.63; 8th, Maggie Boudreau, 18:13.99.
- 600 meters – 7th, Katie Jasminski, 1:40.10
- 60 meters – 7th, Alisha Harris, 7.82
- 60 hurdles – 7th, Robin Peter, 9.18
- Long jump – 2nd, Mary Martin, 5.36m
- Triple jump – 5th, Grace Penders, 10.55m
- Pole vault – 6th, Isabel Garon, 3.49m
- 4x400 relay – 4th, Emma Koether, Alisha Harris, Mary Martin, Nicole VacaGuzman, 3:58.17.
Men's Top Finishers
- 60 hurdles – 7th, Will Ackerman, 8.63
- 5000 meters – 3rd, Andrew Kates, 15:22.03; 8th, Jacob Gosselin, 15:41.68.
- 1 mile – 6th, Kiyan Tavangar, 4:17.86; 7th, Ryan Cutter, 4:17.93.
- 600 meters – 2nd, Joe Previdi, 1:22.53; 8th, Ben Chaimberg, 1:23.88.
- Long jump – 5th, Dev Patel, 12.67m; 6th, Eric Yu, 12.66m
- 400 – 8th, Tyson Miller, 49.56
- Shot put – 8th, Alexander Scott, 14.28m
- 4x400 relay – 4th, Obinnaya Wamuo, Elliott Paintsil, Ben Chaimberg, Tyson Miller, 3:22.42.