Anindya Roy’s lab typically includes about five students (from as many states), consisting of only PhD and Masters students. Our work is concerned with understanding how DNA alkyl-adducts are generated, recognized and repaired. We also enjoy developing medical diagnostics kits, reagents and assays by engaging inter-disciplinary collaborations.
We welcome informal enquires from students wanting to join the lab.
The genome is continuously subjected to various harmful insults from nucleic-acid-modifying compounds. The persistent DNA damage induces genome instability that is associated with cancer. Alkylating agents are one of the significant sources of deleterious DNA damage and one of the major sources of alkylation damage is SN2 type alkylating agents. Various chemicals, mostly primary alkyl halides and methanesulphonates, cause N-alkylation on purines and pyrimidines which result in replication blocking lesions. Cellular metabolite S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) is also SN2 alkylating agent that methylates DNA non-enzymatically. Our research centers on the understanding one particular pathway of repairing these alkylated DNA mediated by iron (FeII)-dependent oxygenases that use 2-oxoglutarate (2OG) as co-substrate. We have started with studying molecular mechanism of FeII/2OG-dependent oxidative demethylase enzymes that repair DNA alkylation damage in simple model organisms such as bacteria and yeast and recently started studying the same in mammalian system.
Reaction that is focus of our research: oxidative demethylation of N-methylated bases.
• Anindya R. (2017) Non-heme dioxygenases in tumor hypoxia: they’re all bound with the same fate. DNA Repair, 49:21-25.
• Shivange G, Monisha M, Nigam R, Kodipelli N, Anindya R. (2016) RecA stimulates AlkB-mediated direct repair of DNA adducts. Nucleic Acid Research, 44(18): 8754-63.
• Shivange G, Kodipelli N, Anindya R. (2015) 2-hydrazinobenzothiazole-based etheno-adductrepair protocol (HERP): A method for quantitative determination of direct repair of etheno-bases. DNA Repair, 28: 8-13.
• Shivange G, Kodipelli N, Monisha M, Anindya R. (2014) A Role for Saccharomyces cerevisiae Tpa1 Protein in Direct Alkylation Repair. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 289(52):35939-52.
• Shivange G, Kodipelli N, Anindya R. (2014) A nonradioactive restriction enzyme-mediated assay to detect DNA repair by Fe(II)/2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase. Analytical Biochemisry, 465C:35-37.
• Agarwal S, Mishra P, Shivange G, Kodipelli N, Moros M, de la Fuente JM, Anindya R. (2015) Citrate-capped gold nanoparticles for the label-free detection of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase-1. Analyst, 140: 1166-73.
• Khan, F. A., Ahmad, S., Kodipelli, N., Shivange, G., Anindya, R (2014) Syntheses of a library of molecules on marine natural product ianthelliformisamines platform and their biological evaluations. Organic and Biomolecular Chemisty, 12 (23):3847-65.