The finished tool consisted of five tabs:
- Input Tab - Where the marketing and sales reps could input the customers’ unique data points
- Model Data - Where the output data for the mowers is housed
- Calculations - The engine of the tool; where all calculations are automatically performed based on values in the first two tabs
- TOC Report - Provides a simple, color-coded representation of the most to least cost effective mower based on total cost of ownership
- Annual Op Costs Report - Presents the customer with information about what they should expect in terms of maintenance and operating costs of the mowers
The team also provided John Deere with instructions on how to add new components, manipulate existing data tables and adapt the tool for use with other John Deere platforms or for competitor comparisons.
Additionally, they provided the company with several recommendations to further increase the use and functionality of the tool, such as to obtain and utilize average cutting speeds for each mower instead of maximum cutting speeds (which would more accurately reflect operating costs).