What to Expect
Oobleck is a mix between solid and liquid. Scientifically it is a non-Newtonian fluid. When a force is applied to non-Newtonian fluids the viscosity increases. Anyway, when you punch the Oobleck your hand doesn't sink, but when you put your hand in slowly it sinks. It is really cool.
- You need a bowl
- 9/8 cups of corn starch
- 1/2 cup of water
- Optional: Food coloring
- First of all, you should go put the corn starch in the bowl
- After that, you must put the water in the bowl with the corn starch
- Then, you have to mix the two things in the bowl with your hands
- This step is optional, but if you want to make it cooler then just add some food coloring
- Finally, have fun with your Oobleck
RElevent Chemistry concept
What is a physical change? Well my little children, a physical change is a change that effects the state of the matter,not the chemical composition. Oobleck is a physical change. Why? When you mix corn starch with water you don't change the chemical composition, no new substance is produced, it's just wet cornstarch.