The Museum on Tower Hill’s annual What’s New exhibition allows individuals to explore the numerous donations received throughout 2020. Each artifact helps to preserve the history of the West Parry Sound District by contributing a personal story. When gathered, these stories not only assist in teaching us about our past but also help in bringing the community closer together, for they reflect a narrative that is ours to share.
Original Fire Lookout Tower on Tower Hill
Did you know that the Museum collects material from our recent past? That's because, even though it may not seem like it, history is always in the making! The photographs below capture the some of the immediate effects that the Covid-19 Pandemic had on the West Parry Sound District. From closures to rocks of hope, these photos will assist individuals in understanding what our community went through.
Photographs of Pointe Au Baril, unknown date.
Conger Lumber Company Sawmill operations, 1909.
Learn about why this Parry Sound resident visited the North Pole!
Photographs of McDougall Road and Badger's Corner in McDougall Township, September 1952.
The first graduating class of the Parry Sound General Hospital Training School for Nurses, 1919.
A Collection of black and white photographs taken by Museum Curator, Nadine Hammond, at the site of the old Box Factory. The photographs show what the area looked like in 2005. The Factory operated under the Parry Sound Lumber Company Limited at the mouth of the Seguin River in Parry Harbour. The company manufactured such materials as rough and dressed Pine, Hemlock and hardwood lumber lath, shingles, and cedar telegraph poles.
Do you have photos of the West Parry Sound District? Help us capture what the area looked like at various points in our community’s history. Reach out to Amy Sultana, email@example.com to donate area photographs to the Museum’s permanent collection.
Galna & Danter Lumber Company marking hammer.
Northern Navigational Company of Ontario Ltd. dessert plate.
Commercial fishing equipment used by Parr & Sons Commercial Fisheries Company. The family owned business began in the early 1900s on Georgian Bay. The Parr’s worked out of the Umbrella Islands before moving to the Minks in the early 1930s.
Curling stones that belonged to early Parry Sound resident Alexander Logan.
Painting of the Pine Lodge Hospital in Parry Sound, by Lenore Thomas.
George Moore Stationary & Fancy Goods hanger.
Georgian Bay Creamery milk bottle.
Nameplates for Mr. & Mrs. Reginald Kitchen.
Parry Sound Fire Department Sign
Certificate for the New Parry Sound Ski Club. The certificate belongs to Parry Sound resident Ms. Ellen E. Bradey, who joined the club at its inception. The certificate was issued on December 1, 1964 for the purchase of one share.
Postcard Correspondence between A. V. Jackson and Fred Jackson, dated May 19, 1924.
You Are Invited...Invitations to district events!
Educational material pertaining to Orpha (nee Peters) White.
“Hilltop, Our Home” by Nicholas Hornyansky, ca. 1940-50s
Family Bible with Registry
Donated by the Richmond Family - Plan of the Town of Parry Sound, date unknown.
A selection of photographs taken from a scrapbook created by Grace (nee Joy) Wright, 1915 - 2017.