1. Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality in 2000–13, with projections to inform post-2015 priorities: an updated systematic analysis, the lancet: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)61698-6/abstract
2. Aiello, AE, Coulborn RM, Perez V, Larson EL. Effect of Hand Hygiene on Infectious Disease Risk in the Community Setting: A Meta-Analysis. Am J Public Health. 2008 August; 98(8): 1372–1381.
3. World Health Organization. Water for health: taking charge. 2001.
4. Curtis V, Camicross S. Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: A systematic review.
5. Rhee, V. et al (2009). Impact of Maternal and Birth Attendant Hand-washing on Neonatal Mortality in Southern Nepal.
6. NPR: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/01/12/375663920/the-doctor-who-championed-hand-washing-and-saved-women-s-lives
7. Water, sanitation and hygiene in health care facilities, Status in low- and middle-income countries and way forward, WHO: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/wash-health-care-facilities/en/
8. Allegranzi B, Nejad SB, Combescure C, Graafmans W, Attar H, Donaldson L et al. (2011). Burden of endemic health-care-associated infection in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet, 377: 228-241.
9. Russo et al., 2012.
10. Allegranzi et al, 2011.