weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. Four Star School: MIS learned today that we have received a Four Star School designation from the Indiana Department of Education. Per the DOE website: The Four Star School Award has been in existence for over 30 years. To receive Four Star designation, a school must receive an “A” on the state’s A-F accountability system and have excellent ISTEP pass rates. For more information regarding this award, please click here.
At the local level, only six of the twenty-one schools in Hancock County achieved this recognition, and I am very proud to share that three of those six reside in GC schools (Eden, Weston and MIS) . This is a huge credit to our community and involves great teachers/staff, supportive parents, and hard-working students.
2. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Jocelyn W., Audrina W., Ellie B., Izzy R., Camden N., Bryson P., Rylee B., and Spencer A.
3. Please find attached the most recent flyers for Greenfield-Central HS summer athletic camps:
4. Daylight Saving Time: Don't forget to spring forward prior to going to bed tomorrow night.
5. Robotics 2019-2020 Team Information: Do you like building things with your hands? Have you ever wanted to code or program a robot to accomplish a task? Do you like being on a competitive team who solves challenging problems? If you answered yes to these questions then you are a perfect candidate for the 2019-2020 Maxwell Robotics Team. Please join our Robotics Google Classroom (Code: 72c5bx) and complete the Interest Survey with your parents by April 5.
If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Chance, Mr. Cooper, or Mr. Fleming sometime next week.
6. PTO Meeting: The March PTO Meeting will be held on Thursday, March 14th in the library at 2:30. Free childcare is provided.
7. Grandparents' Luncheon: RSVP's due March 15th (Click on the appropriate grade level below to RSVP)
4th Grade: April 10th - 12:10PM - 12:50PM
5th Grade: April 9th - 11:55AM - 12:35PM
6th Grade: April 11th - 11:55AM - 12:35PM
8. ILEARN Information (Replaces ISTEP):
ILEARN Practice Test Window: April 1-12 (All students required to participate prior to testing window)
ILEARN Test Window: April 22nd-May 17th (We will have more specific dates/times released soon)
9. Greenfield-Central Junior High Athletics: An important date to keep in mind for all GCJHS students/parents and current 6th graders as well: If you plan to participate in extra-curricular activities at GCJHS you must get your sports physical on/after April 1, 2019 to be valid for the 2019-20 school year.
10. MIS Vaccination Clinic: We are excited to announce that MIS and the Hancock County Health Department have partnered to offer an onsite vaccination clinic here at MIS. The clinic will be held during the school day, and a parent/guardian DOES NOT need to be present for the student to receive the vaccines. Please see the attached letter from the health department, which provides details regarding the clinic and the registration process. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the clinic.
11. GC Kindergarten Round-Up: Please share with your neighbors and friends who may have Kindergarten-Aged Children
12. AskRose Homework Help: Trained Rose-Hulman tutors provide free help to students in math and science. This support is available Sunday-Thursday, 7pm to 10pm (877-Ask-Rose).
13. Library News: Did you know we have eBooks available for MIS students? We received them through the Greenfield-Central School Foundation and want to spread the word. Below is a tutorial you can watch on how to gain access. The eBooks can be read on iPads or Chromebooks. Students can download the books for offline access as well. Should you have questions regarding this, please contact Ms. Lucy Gellert, GC Director of Library Services at email@example.com.
14. Camp Invention: The 2019 camp will be July 15-19th at J.B. Stephens Elementary from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost per child is $230. The camp is for children entering grade K-6. If you have questions or need more information, please contact Ms. Amanda Bradford at firstname.lastname@example.org.
15. Breakfast & 2 Hour Delays: In the event of a 2 hour delay this year, breakfast will not be served on these days. This is due to the fact that upon student arrival our lunch staff will already be in the process of prepping lunch.
16. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
17. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A couple of comments that have been shared:
"Miss Wiseman is a helpful and attentive teacher. She will help to the best of her power and is so kind about it."
"I appreciate the way Mrs. Glant interacts with my daughter. She is a trusted role model in our minds. She has an understanding heart and open mind to encourage her to always do her best. I know having a large class is very difficult to give each student attention, but I greatly appreciate that she is able to acknowledge her accomplishments and continues to push her to succeed."
We would also like to give a big thank you to Mr. Stroud as Indiana and Maxwell celebrated Social Worker Week this week. We appreciate all that he does for our students and staff on a daily basis.
18. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
19. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.email@example.com
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
March 10th: Daylight Saving Begins
March 12th: 6th Grade Human Growth/Development Program
March 12th: MIS Vaccination Clinic
March 13th: Jr. High Band Visit for 6th Graders
March 14th: 4th Grade Field Trip
March 14th: PTO Meeting - 2:30pm in the Library
March 18th-29th: Spring Break
April 1st-12th: ILEARN Required Practice Test Window
April 9th: 5th Grade Grandparents' Luncheon
April 10th: 4th Grade Grandparents' Luncheon
April 11th: 6th Grade Grandparents' Luncheon
April 22nd - May 17th: ILEARN Testing Window
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY