- Provide leadership and management training to improve their skillsets as managers, leaders and communicators. This is a strengthening exercise for the company as a whole
- Define for new hires the answer to “What is in it for me?”; specifically outline what they’re going to get and make sure it’s an ongoing conversation for why they are valuable
- Openly display your organizational chart on a whiteboard, with everyone’s headshot on a magnet - to be transparent and open
- Prohibit closed door meetings to really ignite the culture and promote transparency
- Give employees a development plan to fill out and follow it through!
- Set up and promote a mentorship program where employees feel welcome to share their concerns and provides them with a safe place to go
Dissatisfaction with employee-development efforts appears to fuel many early exits. Employees report that companies generally satisfy their needs for on-the-job development but they’re not getting much in the way of formal development, such as training, mentoring and coaching – things they also value highly.
- Formalize a career development program for employees. Make sure the program aligns with corporate development goals AND employees personal career development goals.
- Programs should include formalized training, coaching and mentoring.
- If managers are conducting the training, coaching or mentoring, ensure that they receive proper education and supervision to ensure they are doing more good than harm.
- Create a central place or web page where employees can learn about the Career Development program. This step forces you to create a compelling presentation of the opportunities available to employees.
- Career success should not only be about promotions - especially if there are not many opportunities. Be sure to celebrate training, mentoring and coaching success as much as promotions.
- Conduct “stay interviews” not just exit interviews to gain insight into what skills employees would like to develop. What type of projects would they like to work on? What would encourage them to stay with the company?
Monting Lin, Alison Brennan, Inga Cafe-Ruoff, Renita D'Souza, Iman Baldiwala, Angie Bjornson, Djina Pajkic, Stosh Fabricius, Celine Williams, Sueanne Pham, Cheyenne Alonzo, Heather McCarthy, Josie Martiniello, Elena Tonu, Eva Petreska, Joanne Serflek, Khushbu Chokshi, Mike Holwell, Julia Scott, Steven So, Thansha Sadacharam, Kamara Toffolo, Natasha Cotz, Retish Deshmukh, Bella Muretova, Monika Dillenberg, Jamie Soo, Kristen Nykanen, Khadeejah Aamir, Bradley Crouse, Melissa Heimpel, Mila Vukojevic, Tracey Both, Cheli Nolan, Rebecca Laramee, Romola Menon, Krisneyris Pena, Jason Meyer, Kim Lloyd, Mijay Pavon, Erin Ashton, Frank Zupan, Tammy Colson, Natalie Pedrosa, Martin Hauck, Jeff Waldman, Tara Werbin, Kathleen Teixeira, Tim Baker, Charlyne Fothergill, Keltie Neville, Ashley Dalziel, Jessica Cheung Goldfarb, Katie Purcell, Rob Catalano, Nadir Ebrahim, Salima Nathoo, David Bator, Dave Savory, Chris Leabeter, Rohan Nair, Ray Kanani, Emma Surich, Justina Dukelow, Andy Anthony, Patrick Farrar, Julie Brennan, Kenny Goldman, Darcie Cummings, Rana Al-Badran, Dave Burnett, Richard Tuck, Vishal Bhatia