Only Those Listed Below Are Authorized to Obtain a Copy of This Record:
- The individual(s) whose marriage is recorded on the document
- A legal guardian of the individual(s) whose marriage is recorded on the document
- A person with written authorization
All Consular Vital Records cost $50 per document
TO REQUEST A COPY OF A CERTIFICATE OF WITNESS TO MARRIAGE ABROAD YOU MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
1. A notarized written (or typed) request that includes all of the following information for both subjects of the marriage:
- Full names
- Dates and place of marriage
- Signature of requester
- Any available passport information
- Return address and telephone number
2. A copy of requester’s valid identification
3. A $50.00 check or money order for each copy requested.
- Make payable to "Department of State"
- The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.
4. Mail to:
- Department of State
- Passport Vital Records Section
- 44132 Mercure Cir.
- PO Box 1213
- Sterling, VA 20166-1213
PLEASE NOTE: REQUESTS THAT ARE NOT NOTARIZED OR DO NOT INCLUDE A COPY OF REQUESTER’S VALID ID WILL BE DELAYED.
Overnight Delivery: Send your request to our office using overnight delivery for quicker service. To have your records returned to you using overnight delivery, include an additional $20.66 with your request or a pre-paid envelope for the delivery service provider of your choice.
To check the status of your Certificate of Witness to Marriage request, call 202-485-8300.