WHAT IS A HEALthy diet?
- Consuming all the different food groups in the right quantities.
For 2000 calorie diet, grains - 6 oz, vegetables - 2 1/2 cups, fruits - 2 cups, dairy - 3 cups and protein - 5 1/2 oz. Grains are rich in fiber, minerals, and vitamins. Fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin, mineral and fiber content, nutrients are vital for our body to function well. They may protect us developing heart disease, diabetes type 2, and cancer. Include green, orange, red, blue/purple and yellow produce. Protein builds and repairs tissue in our body. It contains iron, magnesium, zinc, as well as vitamin b. Dairy (calcium) is important for healthy bones and teeth.
- Eat limited refrained grains and added sugars
- Cut down on animal fat
- Cut down on trans fat foods
- Be aware of Liquid calories
Why is a healthy diet important?
- Nutrients in the foods you eat support your daily activities
- Protect your cells from environmental damage
- Repair cellular damage that might occur
- Quantity matters when you are considering good eating habits
Pros of healthy eating
- Controls weight - eating right and exercising regularly can help avoid excess weight gain and maintain healthy weight.
- Improves mood - physical activity stimulates the production of endorphins (brain chemicals that leave you feeling happier and more relaxed).
- Combats diseases - healthy habits help prevent health conditions like heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure.
- Improves longevity - when you practice healthy habits you books your chances of a longer life.
Cons of not eating a healthy diet
- Weight gain and obesity - consuming a lot of calories from unhealthy foods can result in excess weight that puts a burden on your body. It reduces your energy level and may result in serious health conditions.
- Increased coronary artery disease risk - a poor diet is a contributing factor to the buildup of plaque in coronary arteries, which can lead to heart attacks.
- Increased cancer risk - a diet high in saturated fats can increase your risk for cancer.
- Increased osteoporosis risk - a poor diet contributes to the risk of osteoporosis, a disease that weakens bones.
why should i care about eating healthy?
Everyone should care about eating healthy since it can change their life in a positive way. Nobody wants a dramatic weight gain. I care about eating healthy since I like to be active and go on hikes or run around with my family having fun. I also need to care about eating healthy because of what i want to go into as a career. I want to be an ER nurse and they are always up on their feet running around helping as much as they can and as fast as they can. That job is very hands on and you will be on your feet all shift.