TOOL vs. INSTRUMENT
Critical Literacy = From Knowledge Consumers to Knowledge Producers
Critical Digital Literacy = From Media/Information Consumers to Media/Information Producers
Digital Literacy Pedagogy is not just merely aesthetic; it's epistemological.
Digital Literacy Pedagogy is not just surface, it's substance.
IT Investments in doing things WITH STUDENTS versus doing things TO STUDENTS.
New York Times: "Welcome to the Post-Text Future"
"I’ll make this short: The thing you’re doing now, reading prose on a screen, is going out of fashion. . . . The defining narrative of our online moment concerns the decline of text, and the exploding reach and power of audio and video."
- Farhad Manjoo
High-Impact, Hi-Touch, Experiential, Applied, Active Teaching and Learning
- Students are no longer passive consumers of knowledge and information.
- Students become active producers of knowledge and information.
- Learning by doing, making, problem-solving = creative, critical thinking and learning.
- Learning outcomes and capacities that transfer
At UNC Chapel Hill, we are using Adobe Creative Cloud as a "virtual maker space" that travels with students wherever they go:
* to produce and circulate intellectual work,
* to critically and creatively solve problems for themselves, their communities, families, professions, institutions, and organizations.
In what kinds of courses/departments might "Our Lives Together" belong?
From a Student Experience perspective, how might an assignment like "Our Lives Together" compare with a conventional research paper on such a topic?
From a Faculty perspective, how might an assignment like "Our Lives Together" compare with a conventional research paper on such a topic?
Created with images by heckucci - "crayons colors colorful" • Pexels - "hands spinning workshop" • Miguel Henriques - "untitled image" • arvin febry - "untitled image" • Lachlan Donald - "Ghost town tool shed" • Ousa Chea - "untitled image" • rawpixel - "untitled image" • Parsing Eye - "Deadvlei 💀" • Skitterphoto - "apple tree garden" • mp1746 - "apple pie dining food sweet baker taste" • Art Poskanzer - "heating manifold" • skeeze - "discovery space shuttle launch mission astronauts liftoff" • heckucci - "crayons colors colorful"