Welcome and Merry Christmas!
Building a community of faith... Leading people to become fully transformed followers of Jesus Christ.
New to Shawnee Alliance Church?
Would you like to know more about the church, submit a prayer request, connect with a pastor or find out about upcoming groups and events? Connect with us by filling out a Connect Card form at the bottom of our website or at the Church Center app. We would love to hear from you!
How to Connect with Us
Check out our podcast, Tuesday Talks with Shawnee Alliance Church! You'll find weekly episodes about how being a follower of Jesus impacts your everyday life. You can listen to us on iTunes, Spotify, Google Podcasts or YouTube. You can also find the link to the podcast at shawneealliance.com/media. Be sure to subscribe & share!
A Message from Pastor Kris
How are you doing?
One of the biggest things I've missed these past several months is being able to see everyone face-to-face and catch up. I love hearing stories about how God is moving or how the family is doing, or just spending some time in idle conversation. Christmas is traditionally a tremendous time for family and friends, when we can catch up, despite the general busyness of our lives. However, for many of our families, this year looks very different from previous years. Some families may not be able to gather due to illness or out of caution. Some favorite Christmas traditions may be getting skipped. If you're feeling frustrated, I want to invite you to take a moment to step back and simply worship alongside us. Whether in-person or online, I am prayerful that this year's Christmas Eve services will be a blessing to you and your family.
From my family to yours, have a Merry Christmas. I'm praying God's greatest blessings on you for the New Year!
Christmas Eve Services - December 24 at 4, 6, 8 and 11PM in person and 7PM online
Merry Christmas! The office will be closed December 24-25
Monthly Day of Prayer and Fasting - December 26
New Years Eve Worship Celebration - December 31 at 6:30PM
Happy New Year! The office will be closed January 1 and 4
Share Your Faith - January 6
Wednesday Night Children's Ministry begins - January 6
Small Groups and Middle School Ministries begin - January 13
Christmas Eve Services
This year's Christmas Eve Services will be December 24 at 4, 6, and 8PM at the Activity Center, 11PM in the Sanctuary, and 7PM online (Facebook and YouTube). Join us as we celebrate our Savior's birth together!
The office will be closed December 24-25. Many Blessings for a Merry Christmas!
New Year's Eve Worship Celebration
In the midst the difficulties of 2020, we have experienced God doing miraculous things! Join us at our New Year's Eve Worship Celebration on December 31 at 6:30PM in the Activity Center to celebrate the great things God has done this past year and ask His blessing over 2021!
The office will be closed January 1 and 4. Happy New Year!
Wednesday Activity Night
January 6th, 6:30-7:30PM - Wednesday night groups and activities for all ages begin with "Share Your Faith" on January 6th in the East Campus Sanctuary. Adults, Middle and High School students are invited to join Pastors Kris and Josh as we discuss how to effectively communicate the Gospel to people who do not share Christian values and belief structures. Nursery and Children's Ministry will be open (age 6 weeks - grade 4).
January 13th, 6:30-8PM - Wednesday night small groups begin meeting every Wednesday night starting January 13th. Ministries will be open for ages 6 weeks-grade 8. You can sign up for a small group (list below) for this session at shawneealliance.com/groups or on the Church Center app.
- "One Thousand Gifts" Women's Group (Room A)
- Bible Institute (Rooms B-C)
- Young Adults Group (Hopeshakers Room D), starts Jan 6
- Faith Track (Avenue56 Room F), starts Jan 13 and ends Feb 3
- "I Said This, You Heard That" Marriage Class (Rooms I-J)
- "Iron Sharpens Iron" Men's Group (Boy Scout Room L)
- GriefShare (via Zoom), starts Feb 17
Are you staying inside more this winter? Cozy up with a good book from our church library! We have thousands of selections and our door is always open. Our library is large enough for safe distancing and is located on the East Campus, down the hall from the office and across from the prayer room. Instructions for self check-out are on the armoire. We have a nice Christmas collection of approximately 40 fiction and nonfiction books and DVDs conveniently located on the end table beside the chair. Enjoy!
Serving at Shawnee Alliance
How do we serve at Shawnee Alliance? We serve out of a heart of thankfulness. Volunteering in our church and community is a blessing and part of our life transformation stories! Serving takes our focus off ourselves and turns it to Jesus.
Have you been thinking about getting involved but don't know where to start? The staff would love to connect you in serving at Shawnee Alliance in a way that uses your gifts, talents and passions! You can start by filling out a volunteer form at shawneealliance.com/volunteer and we will be glad to help you connect with a ministry that fits well!
Faith Track is a four-week class that welcomes anyone who is interested in learning more about Shawnee Alliance or how to get more involved. We focus on building community and friendships while helping people to grow deeper in their faith and more rooted in the church. The class also opens the door for church membership for those who are interested. We meet Wednesdays 6:30-8pm from Jan. 13-Feb. 3 in East Campus Room F and you can sign up at shawneealliance.com/groups or the Church Center app.
Last Day of Prayer and Fasting 2020
Despite all of its challenges, as 2020 comes to a close we can focus on Jesus and be at peace. Our last Day of Prayer and Fasting is Saturday, December 26. What better time to take some extra time to be alone with God in His Word? Ask Him what He has to share with you personally.
We challenge you to find a way to spend some time reading through at least one full book of the Bible. If you use the book of John, in about two hours you will have read the whole story of Jesus' life. Maybe you’ll want to break it up throughout the day, or read some of the smaller books. Reading Galatians, Ephesians, and Philippians will take you about one hour total.
God has something for each of us as we close out 2020. Blessings on all He has in store for you in 2021!
Year-End Missions Update
Thank you for partnering with us this year in local and international missions! Here’s what has happened throughout 2020 and what’s coming up for next year:
- Envision Providence (Providence, RI) – Through our 2019 Christmas Eve offering, Envision Providence was able to purchase a van to help transport children for their ministry needs (see picture). In June 2020, we were able to send the only team of the year to work in their community garden. We are planning another mission trip to the site for summer 2021 so watch for information early next year!
- Beirut, Lebanon – Thank you for your generous donations and prayers to help support the community of Beirut after the August explosions. By God’s grace, 207 homes were fixed, 5 people have accepted Christ as their Savior and Lord, and over 200 people are receiving daily spiritual devotions.
- Burkina Refugee Children – We were recently made aware of 52 children who are only getting one meal every other day due to scarcity of food in Burkina Faso. $30 will buy a 220 lb. bag of corn that will help feed these children. Please visit shawneealliance.com/donate and choose the Engage Burkina – Refugee option. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus at this troubling time.
- Envision Burkina (Burkina Faso, Africa) – Due to continued terrorism, all missionaries were pulled out and it has been decided by CMA not to send teams back to Burkina at this time.
- Envision Guinea (Guinea, West Africa) – Although sad to hear about the closing of the Burkina location, a new site is being established in Guinea with the same vision as Burkina (well drilling, disabled ministry, etc). Potential future trips are being discussed, so more information about those mission trip opportunities to come!
- Envision New York (New York City, NY) – A youth culture camp was originally planned for this past summer but has been rescheduled for July 2021. More information will be provided next year when dates are confirmed.
For more information on upcoming mission trips or any inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bible Reading Plan
Bring transformation to your life by reading your Bible! You will get to know Jesus on a deeper level and learn wisdom for your everyday choices. You can find a free Bible in any of our church lobbies. Please feel free to take one when you're with us at church on Sunday or download the YouVersion app on your phone. Use this simple SOAP format to guide your interaction with God's Word:
- Scripture. Take your time reading each chapter and allow God to speak to you.
- Observation. What do you see God doing in the Scripture? What is God saying to you?
- Application. Ask yourself how you can apply this to your life right now.
- Prayer. Communicate with God and ask Him to help you apply this to your life.
Try it out this week! Add a chapter from Proverbs every day to the below plan. (This list is also posted every Sunday on social media.)
Monday, December 21 - Job 19:25
Tuesday, December 22 - Isaiah 59:20
Wednesday, December 23 - Isaiah 9:6
Thursday, December 24 - Micah 5:2
Friday, December 25 - Isaiah 7:14
Saturday, December 26 - Genesis 3:15
Sunday, December 27 - Luke 2:13-21
Monday, December 28 - Matthew 2:1-16
Tuesday, December 29 - Revelation 15:3
Wednesday, December 30 - Psalm 98
Thursday, December 31 - 1 Chronicles 16:8-36
We are very blessed at Shawnee Alliance to have a budget that allows us to do ministry. Below is a list of projects that are over and above the budget and would greatly benefit our ministries. If you would like to give a year-end gift over and above your normal tithe, please consider giving to one of these projects. Simply designate the specific project you are contributing to on your offering envelope or mark "Other" to give online at shawneealliance.com/donate. Thank you!