Swillington Saints welfare 2-3 Wetherby athletic Barkston Ash FA Challenge Cup Semi-Final

Wetherby Athletic faced a tricky away tie at West Yorkshire First Division side Swillington Saints Welfare, as they looked to reach the final of the competition that they won last season.

Swillington have a rich history in the Challenge Cup and even though they, like us, are fighting relegation, we knew this wouldn't be an easy game!

The game started on even footing with both teams attacking. Wetherby threatened through Arran Horton and Jack McGahan, but it also needed Mike Recchia to stop the hosts from scoring.

Arran Horton tests Swillington's defence.
Jack McGahan is knocked off the ball.

Wetherby took the lead in the 21st minute when Joe Dorkings produced a stunning volley over the keeper.

Joe Dorkings loops his volley over the keeper and celebrates.

Eight minutes later and it was 1-1 after a good break allowed the Swillington attacker a chance to lift the ball over Recchia to score.

Wetherby responded well and only several great saves from the Swillington custodian stopped them from scoring.

First, he saved well from Andy Graham's header...
Then a stunning diving save to knock Joe Dorkings's free kick wide...
before winning a foot race with Jack McGahan to clear.

Wetherby regained the lead just before half time when Jack McGahan swept the ball home from the edge of the area.

Jack McGahan scores Wetherby's second.

As before, Wetherby allowed Swillington back into it when they equalised after a fumble from Recchia early in the second half.

The game became an end to end affair, with both teams having chances.

Arran Horton was in the thick of the action for Wetherby.

The fouls also started to mount as tensions rose between the two teams!

Phil Milsom is tripped.

With seven minutes to go, Wetherby won the game when Josh Buckley dived in to head home.

Josh Buckley scores his first goal of the season and what a crucial one!

Both teams gave it their all in the final few minutes, but Wetherby saw the match out to progress into the final.

Ali Bowles holds off a Swillington player.

Wetherby will face Kippax in the final (date TBC) after they beat Aberford Albion on penalties.

The next match sees Wetherby return to the ings as they host field afc in the league.

Created By
Peter Arnett


(C) 2017 Pete Arnett - All Rights Reserved

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.