The mission of Desert Horizon's Dual Language Academy is to support all students to reach high levels of academic achievement and bi-literacy, in a safe and engaging learning environment, that values multiculturalism while preparing students to be college and career ready in an increasingly competitive 21st-century global economy.
Dual Language Academy Goals:
- Develop high levels of listening, oral, reading, and writing proficiency in both Spanish and English.
- Achieve academic excellence in all subject areas.
- Develop positive cultural understandings and appreciate the traditions and values of various cultures in our society and around the world to equip students with the skills that will enable them to function in a language other than their own
- Aligns to Arizona state standards.
- Provides literacy Instruction in Dual Language Model in both English and Español.
- Promotes bilingual, bi-literate, and multicultural competencies for all students.
- Supports children's social and emotional development by creating an inclusive classroom community, promoting children's relationships with teachers and peers.
- Provides daily opportunities and support for children to engage in small group learning.
- Uses integrated thematic units and technology in all grades.
AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a college readiness program designed to help students develop the skills they need to be successful in college. The program places special emphasis on growing writing, critical thinking, teamwork, organization and reading skill.