Two Weeks Later Willowood Keeps Farming - a Photo Essay by David Stern

16 days after the barn burned down and progress on Willowood Farm is moving forward as life is moving on. New supplies are showing up. New plants are being put into the ground. And a new packing shed is being constructed along with a cold storage container arriving this week or next. To say things are moving fast is an understatement. However, "slow" has never been in the Smith family's vocabulary.

Walla Walla Sweet onions ready to be put into the ground
after soaking in a nutrient solution, the bunches are split apart and transplanted by hand.
Alanah (left) and Paul (right) both working hard to make sure the onions have a good start
the hands of a volunteer working alongside the Willowood crew

Calls to the community have begun to go out for specific volunteer tasks such as helping to transplant new starts. If you would like to help with special projects and receive updates on what is happening at the farm please visit the Willowood Farm website:

Without their tractors, classic techniques are being put into practice.
Deliveries are arriving everyday
The new packing shed's skeleton frame alongside the yet to be cleared Smith Barn
Old meets new

Construction on the new packing shed is the first priority at Willowood right now so that they can get their operation back on the property and within a stones throw of the fields where the harvests take place. This is where the food is washed, weighed, bagged, boxed, and sent to all of the chefs in the region who choose to use Willowood's veggies. Once this is built and temporary cold storage is put in place, the next phase of construction can begin. Cleanup.

The new packing shed is almost ready for the roof to be constructed
Created By
David Stern

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.