'In these changing times, he thought, the most effective managers manage themselves and the people they work with so that both the people and the organization profit from their presence.'
'To succeed sooner , managers must be both results - oriented and people - oriented." How on earth can we get results if it’s not through people ? So I care about people and results , because they go hand in hand.'
What to do:
- Plan the goals together and describe them briefly and clearly. Show people what good performance looks like.
- Have people write out each of their goals, with due dates, on a single page.
- Ask them to review their most important goals each day, which takes only a few minutes to do.
- Encourage people to take a minute to look at what they’re doing, and see if their behavior matches their goals.
What to do:
- Praise people as soon as possible.
- Let people know what they did right — be specific.
- Tell people how good you feel about what they did right, and how it helps.
- Pause for a moment to allow people to feel good about what they've done.
- Encourage them to do more of the same.
- Make it clear you have confidence in them and support their success.
- Re-direct as soon as possible.
- Confirm the facts first, and review the mistake together- be specific.
- Express how you feel about the mistake and its impact on results.
- Be quiet for a moment, to allow people time to feel concerned about what they've done.
- Let them know they are better than their mistake.
- Remind them that you have confidence in them.
- When it's over, it's over.