Searching For typefaces in everyday life
This distortion of Helvetica was made on paper. I cut out the inside of each letter and make it look 3D.
This distortion was made on the scanner, I put the word helvetica in the scanner and I just simply move the word around in different directions as it was moving
This was also made on the scanner
These are a few other examples of distortions made on paper and the scanner. I really liek the distortions from the scanner because it really distorts the letters to a point where we can almost not read the word which I find pretty cool, it also changes the word in such a cool way.
I really like this distortion because the word has two layers to it and it has a cool effect when you look at it.
distortion made by illustrater. this distortion was to make the word really grainy.
This one is by far my favourite one because it makes the word look like ink droplets in water
This one is also made on illustrator. This one is very mathematical for me becuase It looks so geometric how al the shapes fit together. I didnt really like this design because It reminded me of a bee hive.
After realising I liked the ink droplet and grainy design I thought I could put these two designs together however I dont really like the final product as it looks very messy.
This was my very first portrait. As you can see, I didn't use the shapes of the letters to frame my face, instead I just clumped them together and aligned my face with them. Also, instead of using the small letters to make my nose, I used one large letters to create my nose, this didn't really capture my nose perfectly. After finishing this portrait I realised I needed to make another one and use the shapes properly.
This was my second attempt on making a good portrait. I fixed my nose and hair in this one by really finding shapes in the letters that matched along with my face. As you can see in my hair I used open brackets to capture the movement of my hair. I still didnt find out how to use the letters to make the shape of my hair.
This was my third attempt. As you can see this one looks a lot clearer than the first one. I tried to make my eyebrows different by using the letters in a smaller way, at first I wasn't sure if I liked the look of clumped letters.
In this portrait I think I realised how to use the shapes to frame my face. However, the font I chose didn't work that well because some parts were really bold and other parts are quite thin, this made a contrast in the portrait which I didnt like.
This was my final choice, I really like this portrait because the shapes frame my face rather than creating a line of letters. Also, the font I chose for this portrait wasn't too contrasting as the other one.
Inking The Portraits
In the photo above we were inking the portraits. The first thing we did was laser cut our portraits and then we used the get black ink and inked the portraits! I made my inking quite dark because I liked the look of a crisp ink sheet. Also, I learnt after many trials to use circular motions over the sheet of paper and rub all of the parts so it all got inked properly.