1. Nine Ways to Support Be Antibiotics Aware
- Download and distribute the new educational materials, which include fact sheets, brochures, and infographics for consumers and healthcare professionals.
- Join the Be Antibiotics Aware Thunderclap to share the same message at the same time.
- Participate in the global #AntibioticResistance Twitter chat on Thursday, November 16 at 1pm ET.
- Add the Be Antibiotics Aware Twibbon and Facebook Frame to your social media profile picture.
- Use social media messages and graphics to spark conversation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Use the official hashtags: 1) Educational effort hashtag: #BeAntibioticsAware during entire educational effort 2) #USAAW hashtag: #USAAW17 during observance week and 3) Twitter hashtag: #AntibioticResistance during the Twitter chat on Thursday, November 16 at 1pm ET.
- Post the Be Antibiotics Aware web badges to your organization’s website or blog.
- Customize the press release and distribute to media to demonstrate your organization’s support of Be Antibiotics Aware.
- Use the “drop-in” articles in your e-blasts, newsletters, and other publications.
2. Dear Colleague Letter
On behalf of the CDC’s Office of Antibiotic Stewardship, we are excited to announce the launch of the 10th Annual U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week and the new Be Antibiotics Aware educational effort.
Since 2003, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Get Smart About Antibiotics campaign – often referred to as “Get Smart” – has been at the forefront of efforts to educate healthcare providers, patients and the public about the importance of appropriate antibiotic use and combating the threat of antibiotic resistance.
In recent years, conversations about antibiotics have evolved and there is ever-growing interest in topics like antibiotic use and resistance.
Be Antibiotics Aware features targeted messaging and relevant materials to meet the increasing demand for resources and information about antibiotics.
In preparation for U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week, CDC is urging stakeholders like you to join our efforts to raise awareness about the importance of safe antibiotic prescribing and use. The new Be Antibiotics Aware initiative provides resources to help improve antibiotic prescribing among healthcare professionals, focusing on prescribing antibiotics only when needed, and at the right dose for the right duration and at the right time.
Be Antibiotics Aware features a number of resources to help healthcare professionals (in both outpatient and inpatient settings) educate patients and families about antibiotic use and risks for potential side effects. For more information visit: www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use.
We appreciate your continued work to promote appropriate antibiotic use and are thankful for your support in the coming weeks and always.
Associate Director for Communications Science (Acting),
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion
Lauri Hicks, DO
Office of Antibiotic Stewardship
3. Key Messages
How to use: Messages can be used to supplement your organization’s current communications strategies regarding improved antibiotic prescribing and use.
4. Press Release Template
How to use: Customize this news release by filling in pertinent information in the brackets. Send it to media to demonstrate your organization’s support of Be Antibiotics Aware.
5. Newsletter Content
How to use: Insert the following pre-approved content into your newsletters, blogs, and other publications.
6. Digital Materials
How to use: Post and share these graphics on your social media channels, blogs, and websites.
7. Social Media Posts
How to use:
- Copy and paste these social media messages. Use #BeAntibioticsAware in any messages you share.
- Repost CDC social media messages about Be Antibiotics Aware. Visit @CDCgov, @CDC_NCEZID, and CDC’s Facebook page.
Facebook/LinkedIn/Instagram Sample Posts
- #BeAntibioticsAware helps #patients, caregivers, families, and #healthcare professionals improve antibiotic prescribing and use. Learn more. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP
- Do you or your loved one really need #antibiotics for colds, #flu, runny noses? Visit @CDCgov’s website to find out. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP #BeAntibioticsAware
- Being #antibiotics aware = knowing that antibiotics aren’t needed for most cases of #bronchitis, many #sinus infections, and some ear #infections. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP #BeAntibioticsAware
- Have a #virus (cold, #flu)? You can feel better without #antibiotics. Ask your #healthcare professional about the best way to feel better while your body fights off the virus. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP #BeAntibioticsAware
- When it comes to health, we all want to use the right tool for the job. Share this message and talk to your doctor or nurse about being #antibiotics aware. http://bit.ly/2Auq6Tm #BeAntibioticsAware
- During U.S. #AntibioticAwareness Week, #BeAntibioticsAware and learn when antibiotics are needed and when they’re not. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP
- When #antibiotics aren’t needed, they won’t help you, and the side effects could still hurt you. To learn more about antibiotic use, visit https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP. #BeAntibioticsAware
- Providers: Give your #patients the BEST care by following #clinical guidelines when prescribing #antibiotics. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GE #BeAntibioticsAware
- We’re proud to be a #BeAntibioticsAware partner for U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week! Learn how you can participate: https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gm.
- We are antibiotics aware! During U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week, check out what our organization is doing to improve antibiotic prescribing and use: https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gy. #USAAW17 #BeAntibioticsAware
- Patients! Don’t ask for #antibiotics for viruses, like cold and flu. Instead, get CDC info on symptom relief: https://go.usa.gov/xn4GV. #BeAntibioticsAware. #USAAW17
- Are you and your family antibiotics aware? Find out this U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week (formerly “Get Smart About Antibiotics Week”)! https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP #USAAW17
- Taking #antibiotics only when needed is one thing you can do to help fight antibiotic resistance. https://go.usa.gov/xn4GP #USAAW17
Twitter Sample Posts
- #BeAntibioticsAware helps patients, families & #healthcare professionals improve antibiotic prescribing and use. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp
- Everyone can help improve #antibiotic prescribing and use. Visit @CDCgov’s website to #BeAntibioticsAware. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp
- This #USAAW17, learn how you can #BeAntibioticsAware to protect yourself & your family. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp
- #Antibiotics don’t treat colds and #flu, or runny noses. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp #BeAntibioticsAware
- Have a cold, #flu, or runny nose? You can feel better without an antibiotic. Learn more: https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp. #BeAntibioticsAware
- Pls RT! The best health care starts with using “The Right Tool” for the job. http://bit.ly/2Auq6Tm #BeAntibioticsAware
- When #antibiotics aren’t needed, they won’t help you, & the side effects could still hurt you. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp #BeAntibioticsAware
- HCPs: #BeAntibioticsAware by telling #patients why they don't need antibiotics for a #virus. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gd
- We’re proud to #BeAntibioticsAware during #USAAW17. Learn how you can participate: https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gw. #SaveABX
- Patients: Learn what you can do at home and at the clinic to #BeAntibioticsAware. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp #USAAW17
- Parents/caregivers: Have a sick child? Antibiotics aren’t always be the right tool. #BeAntibioticsAware: http://bit.ly/2Auq6Tm #USAAW17
- Without #antibiotics, treating people with #sepsis, cancer & undergoing surgery becomes much harder. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp #USAAW17
- Any time #antibiotics are used, they can cause side effects & lead to #AntibioticResistance. #BeAntibioticsAware! https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp
- #USAAW17 offers many ways to encourage antibiotic prescribing & use. https://go.usa.gov/xn4Gp #BeAntibioticsAware
Social Media Graphics
Antibiotics Aren't Always the Answer Animated GIFs - coming soon!
8. Twitter Chat
How to participate: Join CDC and fellow antibiotic use stakeholders for the global #AntibioticResistance Twitter chat on Thursday, November 16 from 1-3 pm EST. Use the following posts to promote the event to your network. Remember to use #AntibioticResistance in every post!
Save the Date
#AntibioticResistance chat on November 16 from 1-3 pm EST
Twitter Chat Questions
- What is #AntibioticResistance and why does it matter?
- What causes #AntibioticResistance?
- What can healthcare professionals do to help fight #AntibioticResistance?
- What can patients and families do to improve antibiotic use and prevent #AntibioticResistance?
- What's being done globally to slow #AntibioticResistance and protect people?
- What new technologies can we use to combat #AntibioticResistance?
- What do antibiotics treat and what don't they treat?
- How can we prevent infections and reduce the need for antibiotics?
- How can pharmacists and nurses help improve antibiotic use? #AntibioticResistance
- How is your organization helping to address #AntibioticResistance?
- What is the CDC's new educational effort #BeAntibioticsAware about?
- What can everyone do to #BeAntibioticsAware? #AntibioticResistance
- When a patient needs antibiotics, do the benefits outweigh the risks of side effects…?
- When you take antibiotics does it also kill the bacteria that keep you healthy?
- Did you know fungi develop resistance too? What is antifungal resistance?
- How does resistance in food and animals affect humans? #AntibioticResistance
- Why are antibiotics used in food animals? #AntibioticResistance
- Why is appropriate antibiotic use important in animals? #AntibioticResistance
9. Twibbon and Thunderclap Campaign
CDC will launch a Be Antibiotics Aware Twibbon campaign on Monday, November 13, to make it easy for social media users to demonstrate their support. Twibbon is a microsite that will allow anyone to add a Be Antibiotics Aware frame to their Twitter and Facebook profile and cover images.
Facebook Profile Frame
Let your Facebook followers know that you support Be Antibiotics Aware by adding a frame to your profile picture and Facebook stories. Access the Facebook cover here: https://twibbon.com/support/be-antibiotics-aware.
CDC will also launch a Be Antibiotics Aware Thunderclap campaign on Monday, November 13 at 12 PM ET. Thunderclap helps amplify social media messages by rallying partners and friends to share the same message at the same time through Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr, so that it cannot be ignored. Think of it as an "online flash mob."
The message goes out on November 13 at 12 PM ET. Show your support for appropriate antibiotic prescribing and use by joining the Thunderclap.
10. “The Right Tool” Public Service Announcements
How to use: Share these “The Right Tool” Public Service Announcements (PSAs) to spread the word about Be Antibiotics Aware by using antibiotics only when needed. Make sure antibiotics are the right tool for the job! The PSAs are free to use in any communications channel.
11. Educational Materials
Print materials and video.