People want stories in their social media, not advertisements so businesses are hungry for young designers that understand can tell a compelling story. In this session, we will explore the tools and storytelling strategies that will give your students a competitive advantage when entering the workforce.
- Visuals - images, graphics - symbols, charts, icons, video, animation (Moon and Balloon: Example of film with no dialog)
- Audio - voice - expression, music - emotional impact, sound FX - added detail
- Text - style, readability (Less is More!)
- Simple, authentic, short
- Lesson learned, moral or call to action
Light Bulb Example
Creativity comes from open ended lessons that allow students to tell their own stories and feed off each other.
The Language of Storytelling
- Composition - Spark Video Project
- Plot Structure - exposition, setting, character, conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution
- Hero's Journey - NPR Story
- Design Principles - Ctrl Paint Lessons
- 10 Movie Plots Article