Promenades is a series of site-specific, audio-guided theater works by John Bechtold, designed to be experienced on site at various outdoor public spaces in the Pioneer Valley.
For each Promenade, participants download an app-based "walk" that can only be activated on site. Once at a Promenade location, audience members begin their walk with their headphones on, with phones staying in your pocket for the duration of the production.
While each Promenade works as a stand-alone piece, all share the themes of walking through beautiful, wooded spaces and letting your imagination weave a relationship between the audio from your headphones and the inspiring environment around you.
Designed as a response to making theater in the COVID-19 era, all walks are designed for solo walkers in open, outdoor spaces.
Promenades is produced through Eggtooth Productions, Greenfield, MA.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Aside from my phone and a pair of headphones, what other equipment do I need?
- Nothing! This is the only technology you'll need. Just make sure to download the Eggtooth app and download your walk before arriving on-site.
- How difficult are the walking conditions?
- Each Promenade takes place in a public-access park or similar area. Check out the info for each Promenade for details on walking terrain, difficulty, and the like.
- Can I listen to these walks off-site?
- No. All walks can only be experienced on-site.
- How did you create Promenades?
- Promenades was created during the pandemic by recording actors remotely on personal equipment. All field recordings were conducted on site.