North Shore Day School FINAL Re-Opening Plans for 2020-2021
- North Shore Day School will establish and maintain communication with families regarding health and safety protocols in the school building and the instruction being provided. Any changes in the procedure(s) will also be communicated via email and the Brightwheel software app.
- All written reopening plans and information will be provided to families and via email, and the North Shore Day School website.
- North Shore Day School is licensed by the New York State Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS) as a daycare provider.
- PPE equipment will be available and utilized to ensure a safe & healthy environment for students and staff.
- All staff and students will be trained in the proper procedures for hand washing, cleaning and disinfection, ventilation, and appropriate use of PPE.
- Students will not be required to wear face coverings in the classroom.
- Face coverings for all students and staff will be available in the event that appropriate social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Class sizes will not exceed 15 students in accordance with OCFS & NYS regulations.
- All classes will operate as ‘cohorts’ to limit potential exposure and prevent intermingling across cohorts.
- Daily lunch and two snacks will be provided by North Shore Day School and students will eat in their classroom.
- North Shore Day School will be utilizing the Brightwheel Child Care Management app which can be accessed through a phone or computer to facilitate arrivals and dismissal and to serve as a means of communication with parents and staff..
Health & Safety:
- All student forms including current physicals must be submitted to school prior to the first day which is September 14, 2020.
- Additionally, parents must submit a one-time attestation form indicating your understanding of our daily health check which will be kept.
- North Shore Day School will be a closed campus to all visitors. No parents/caregivers will be permitted inside any building. Parents/caregivers will be signing their children in each day outside of their respective buildings using the BrightWheel software app.
- Monthly class assemblies will be recorded and emailed to families.
- Tables, chairs and center areas to be sanitized multiple times throughout the day.
- Toys will be disinfected and cleaned daily using OCFS & CDC approved cleaning solutions and will rotate days of use.
- Teachers will be provided with and will wear face coverings any time they are in direct contact with children.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available in each building as well as outdoors.
- North Shore Day School will conduct regular cleaning and disinfection of all facilities daily
- Bathrooms, playgrounds, and high touch surfaces will be subject to rigorous cleaning and disinfection throughout the day.
- All cleaning products used in and around North Shore Day School will follow the Department of Environmental Conservation’s (DEC) list of products registered in New York State and identified by the EPA as effective against COVID-19.
Cleaning and Disinfection Following Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 Case
- North Shore Day School will follow CDC guidelines on “Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Facility” if someone is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19
- North Shore Day School will thoroughly clean and disinfect all areas used by the person suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19, such as offices, classrooms, bathrooms, lockers, and common areas
- Closing off areas used by the person who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 may be considered.
- Once the area has been appropriately cleaned and disinfected, the contaminated area can be reopened for use.
- North Shore Day School will not necessarily need to close operations if the building can close off the affected areas (e.g., classroom, restroom, hallway). North Shore Day School will consult with local health departments in order to determine appropriate next steps.
- When appropriate, opening outside doors and windows to increase air circulation in the area will be considered.
- Following a confirmed COVID case, facilities staff may consider waiting 24 hours before cleaning and disinfecting, unless waiting 24 hours is not feasible, in which case, will wait as long as possible.
- Individuals without close or proximate contact with the person suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 may return to the area and resume school activities immediately after cleaning and disinfection.
- North Shore Day School will refer to DOH’s “Interim Guidance for Public and Private Employees Returning to Work Following COVID-19 Infection or Exposure” for information on “close and proximate” contacts.
- If more than seven days have passed since the person who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 visited or used the facility, additional cleaning and disinfection will not be necessary, but routine cleaning and disinfection will continue.
COVID-19 Testing & Daily Health Screening:
- All hired staff will be COVID tested via a non-invasive nasal swab right before the start of school during set up week and bimonthly for 2 months thereafter.
- All entering students will be required to be tested as well. We will have medical staff on campus to do a light nasal swab or parents may elect to have their child tested privately. Testing on campus will be provided at no cost to families.
- All staff and students will be temperature tested upon arrival each day using a non-contact infrared thermometer.
- Students will be temperature tested twice a day: upon arrival and again at lunchtime. Those students riding a bus will have their temperature taken before boarding.
- Any student who is sick (colds, coughs, persistent runny nose, flu like symptoms) should not be sent to school.
- Any student who presents with a temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or greater during the school day will need to be taken home within 1 hour of notification and may not return to school until fever free with no fever reducing medicine for 72 hours. A doctor’s note clearing the child will be required.
- If needed, an isolation area will be provided using approved PPE equipment.
- Any student or staff member who presents with a temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or greater and /or any two symptoms of COVID-19 (i.e. coughing, sneezing, body aches, skin rash, difficulty breathing) will be required to be cleared by their physician (no virtual health care) with a note or negative COVID test results before returning after a 14 day quarantine.
- Any student or staff member who has been exposed or may have been exposed to an individual with a confirmed case of COVID-19 will be required to stay at home for 14 days.
- North Shore Day School will notify the state and local health department immediately upon being informed of any positive COVID-19 diagnostic test result by a student or staff member.
- In the case of an individual testing positive, North Shore Day School will support local health departments in tracing all contacts of the individual, in accordance with the protocols, training, and tools provided through the New York State Contact Tracing Program
- Confidentiality will be maintained as required by federal and state law and regulations
- Drivers will wear face coverings on the bus.
- Students will have their temperature taken prior to boarding the bus using a non-contact infrared thermometer. Any child presenting with a temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will not be permitted to board the bus.
- Students over the age of 2 will need to wear a face covering on the bus.
- Assigned seating for students maintaining required social distancing.
- Members of the same household will be seated together.
- Buses will be sanitized by maintenance after arrival each morning.
- We will not be able to accommodate playdates on the bus home.
Classroom Learning & Environment:
- To help prepare students to transition back to the new school year, teachers will conduct video conferences with their classes to introduce them to their new classrooms, teachers and classmates.
- Teachers will conduct class outdoors weather and curriculum permitting in addition to in - class activities.
- Show & Tell will now become a public speaking class with students ‘telling’ about their item and displaying a photo of said item.
- Lunch will be eaten in the classroom. Any lunch items sent in will remain in the student’s backpack. Only cold lunches that do not require heating will be permitted.
- Classes will not be interacting with each other throughout the school day.
- Special classes such as gym, yoga, music, and Spanish will be conducted outdoors weather permitting. Once the weather grows colder, classes will be staggered to permit sanitizing of equipment and space.
- Specialty teachers will be permitted to teach across cohorts maintaining appropriate social distancing.
- Art classes will be held in our art studio with sanitizing of equipment and space between sessions. Classes will be conducted on a rotation schedule.
Arrivals & Dismissal for Parent Transportation:
- Students will arrive and depart from their respective buildings with an accompanying caregiver who must have a face covering.
- Families will be asked to check in by completing a health check questionnaire via an app before approaching the building. No parent or caregiver will be permitted to enter the building.
- Distancing signage will be posted to allow for temperature checks prior to entrance.
- Any child presenting with a temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will not be permitted to be in school.
- Students will be escorted to their classroom by one of their teachers.
- Classes will be dismissed individually with caregivers waiting outside, socially distanced and wearing a face covering, to receive their student.
- Late drop offs and early pickups will require parents to call the main office to notify administration. A staff member will then escort the child to their classroom or to the caregiver’s vehicle.
- In the event that North Shore Day School was unable to conduct in-person learning, our remote learning plan would be immediately initiated.
- It is our objective to run school following our 2020-2021 calendar of instructional days. In the event that schools were mandated to close their physical campuses, we are prepared to continue to deliver instruction via a virtual platform.
- If we were permitted to reopen , we would modify our school calendar to maximize in – school instructional days on previously closed holidays and extend our school year if need be.
Assumption of Risk
North Shore Day School has implemented reasonable preventative protocols, policies and procedures designed to reduce the spread of COVID-19 during the child’s participation during the 2020- 2021 which may be updated from time to time. Children and their families are expected to adhere to these protocols in order to reduce the risks of contracting or spreading the virus at school. Despite the protocols and procedures in place to mitigate the transmission of COVID-19 on campus, there are inherent risks that the child may become infected with COVID-19 due to their participation in school. By sending their child to school, parents acknowledge and assume these risks.
85 Crescent Beach Rd, Glen Cove, NY 11542, United States
Phone: +1 516-676-0190