Start your Savings Habit during America Saves Week
America Saves Week is a national effort to encourage individuals to set savings goals, make a savings plan, and save automatically. Join millions of others who are taking time during America Saves Week to start or grow their personal and retirement savings. Savers with a plan are twice as likely to save successfully for retirement. Start your savings habit during America Saves Week!
Start Saving More Today by:
• Increasing the amount you contribute to your Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Plan account or 403(b) account at any time, subject to tax code and plan limits.
For 2020, the contribution limit for 457 and 403(b) plans is:
-$19,500 for individuals under age 50
-Additional $6,500 catch-up limit for individuals age 50+
• Not enrolled in a 457 or 403(b) plan? Contact the Retirement Specialist to enroll today and start earning free money with the Cash Match! (Cash match available to full-time faculty and staff). Did you know that if you are a part-time employee you are able to contribute to a 403(b) or 457 account? Start saving for your retirement today!
• Hybrid Plan members: Increase your voluntary contribution quarterly (next deadline March 15th) or use the new SmartStep tool to annually increase contributions automatically until you reach the maximum.
- Already saving for retirement? Experts recommend increasing the amount you save toward retirement by at least 1 percent during America Saves Week.
Attend a retirement planning workshop through Talent Development:
- Little Red Corvette (TD2288) 03/04/2020
- Little Red Corvette 2.0 (TD2289) 03/06/2020
- Pre-Retirement Planning (TD1372) 03/11/2020 & 03/18/2020
- Social Security 101 (TD2333) 03/19/2020
- Planning for Retirement Today! (TD2265) 03/24/2020
- Retirement 101 (TD1212) 05/21/2020
Search all Talent Development training offerings
VRS Members: log into your myVRS account today and use the Retirement Income Planner to see if you are on track to live comfortably in retirement.
Sign up for a FREE financial counseling session with one of our plan advisors:
• Janice Parker (VRS Hybrid and 457 plans), On campus next: 02/21/2020, Contact JParker@icmarc.org to schedule to meet!
• Paul Vutiprichar (Fidelity), On campus next: 04/10/2020, Schedule online today!
• Jay Colligan (TIAA), On campus next: 02/26/2020, Schedule online today!
• Corbin Hess (Valic now AIG), Call 540-830-1630 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule today!
JMU Talent Development
- Business Writing and Proofreading (TD1021)
- Little Red Corvette (TD2288)
- Time Challenged (TD1608)
- Little Red Corvette 2.0 (TD2289)
- Student Employment Essentials (TD1461)
- Pre-Retirement Planning (TD1372)
- Team Excellence #2: Unity (TD2340)
- Hiring @ JMU (TD1002)
Visit Talent Development’s webpage for a listing of all they have to offer!
The Employee Advisory Committee Wants to Hear from You
An advisory committee reporting to the President of James Madison University, the Employee Advisory Committee fosters open, honest and productive communication between employees and the university administration.
The organization accomplishes its mission by:
- Communicating with the Executive Assistant to the President of the University
- Providing feedback and advice to the Senior Leadership Team regarding issues that impact JMU employees
- Facilitating two-way communication with the campus community through electronic and verbal methods
- Facilitating staff employee participation on University Committees and Commissions
- Sponsoring the annual JMU Employee Appreciation Event each May
- Plan the President's Opening Address to Staff each fall
We want to hear from you!
We meet once a month to discuss matters that concern employees, Classified, A&P Faculty, Faculty, and Wage. Let us know if there is a topic, question, or concern we can address during our meetings by getting in touch with an EAC member, filling out our online form or by emailing email@example.com.
For more information visit jmu.edu/eac
Institute for Stewardship of the Natural World Update: Thank you to our recent Green Event Partners!
Events can contribute to campus environmental sustainability progress and engage our community in solutions. When you are planning an event on campus, choose to participate in JMU’s Greening Your Event Program, which includes a simple planning checklist that considers transportation, energy, catering, and more. The program encourages and recognizes the voluntary efforts that many JMU event organizers already make. Participants receive a Greening Your Event Partner logo to use as part of their event and communications.
CAP Planning Family Weekend Event, October 2019
Feminisms & Rhetorics Conference, November 2019
In addition to incorporating recommended practices, conference organizers invited attendees to participate in a “Swag Swap,” for which Carrier Library’s The Makery provided DIY tools and resources for conference attendees to transform and repurpose donated items.
Free Fitness Orientations
Are you interested in diversifying your workout? Register for a free 1-on-1 orientation with a UREC Fitness Instructor to help you take your workout to the next level. Your instructor will take you through a variety of equipment in the Fitness Center. Register on URECRegister.jmu.edu today.