Understanding Common Injuries
- Brief overview of most common injuries in this field- lower back injuries and knee injuries
- Helping employees identify injuries early on to prevent chronic injury
- Stats of common injuries in the childcare workplace
- What is non specific mechanical lower back pain?
- What types of knee injuries are there?
- Can I be predisposed to injuries?
- Can a reaggravation occur to an old injury?
Understanding Mechanisms of injury
- Teach staff about how mechanical injuries occur
- Better understanding of injury to reduce chronicity and better return to work rates
- How can we create strategies to reduce the chances of injury and what to look out for?
- Sprain versus strain
- Typical healing rates
- How to reduce strain and sprains
- Muscle tightness/ weakness, balance, strength, stability
Strategies to avoid common injuries
To look for common workplace injury scenarios and figure out how we can reduce rate of injury by changing body positions and forces
- Floor to standing
- Picking up children
- Moving children
- Change stations
- Moving heavy play equipment
- Switching from side to side during long periods of carrying
Importance of exercise and functional effects on the body
- Play out each scenario with a model and how we can make it worse, and how we can make it better?
- Moving station around to improve ergonomics
- Sitting on the floor
- Using things like stools to reduce strain on knees and back
Injury Management Procedures
- How to self treat acute sprains and strains
- What to expect?
- Company policy and procedure to help with return to work
- When to use ice or heat?
- Acute injury management expectations and procedures
- What to do if it persists. Who do I contact?