On Sunday I attend an Armenian church service with the family. This is while we were still in Charlotte NC because there are no Armenian churches in SC that we know of.
After the service I received my Christmation. This is a sacrament done in the Armenian church and it is called “droshm” or “knounk”, which means “seal”. During this sacrament parts of the body are blessed/granted special graces while being anointed with holy muron (anointing oil).
A quick history lesson...
The church holds a special reverence for the continuity factor of the oil. According to tradition, a portion of the Holy Anointing Oil of Exodus 30, which Moses and Aaron had blessed, still remained in Jesus' time. Jesus Christ blessed this oil and then gave some of it to Thaddeus, who took the holy oil to Armenia and healed King Abkar of a terrible skin disease by anointing him with the holy oil. Saint Thaddeus is said to have buried a bottle of the Holy Anointing Oil in Daron under an evergreen tree. Saint Gregory the Illuminator discovered the hidden treasure and mixed it with muron that he had blessed. It is said that “To this day, whenever a new batch of muron is prepared and blessed, a few drops of the old one go into it, so that the Armenian muron always contains a small amount of the original oil blessed by Moses, Jesus Christ, and Gregory the Illuminator.”
The Holy Muron is composed of olive oil and forty-eight aromas and flowers. The remaining portion of the previous blessed holy oil is poured into the newly prepared oil during the blessing ceremony and passes the blessing from generation to generation. It is said that this very procedure has been followed for nearly 1700 years. The Catholicos of all Armenians in Etchmiadzin combines a new mixture of Holy Muron in the cauldron every seven years using a portion of the holy muron from the previous blend.
So that's pretty cool that I've been blessed with Holy Oil that Jesus himself has blessed!
Father Samuel at St. Sarkis blessed me with the special oil on several parts of my body.
- Forehead: “Sweet ointment in the name of Jesus Christ is poured upon you as a seal of incorruptible heavenly gifts.”
- Eyes: “This seal in the name of Jesus Christ may enlighten your eyes that you may never sleep unto death.”
- Ears: “This holy anointing be unto you for the hearing of the divine commandments.”
- Nose: “This seal in the name of Jesus Christ be to you a sweet smell from life unto life.”
- Lips: “This seal in the name of Jesus Christ be for you a guardian for your mouth and a strong door for your lips.”
- Hands: “This seal in the name of Jesus Christ be to you a cause for charity and for all virtuous deeds and behavior.”
- Heart: “This divine seal may confirm in you a pure heart and renew within you an upright spirit.”
- Back: “This seal in the name of Jesus Christ be to you a shield of strength thereby to quench all the fiery darts of the Evil.”
- Feet: “This divine seal of God may direct your steps unto life everlasting that you may not be shaken.”
Afterwards we did what we do best... EAT! We had a nice lunch with the family and Father Samuel.
Oh Christmas Tree
On Wednesday we decorated our Christmas tree. Well, Mommy did most of the work but I helped. I got to put on my "baby's 1st Christmas" ornament that Grandpa Ace and Grandma Goldie got for me.