1) Respect has to be earned
" "....You play with dignity and respect, and I'll treat you with dignity and respect, no matter what happens, okay?" "
2) It's okay to let your friends and family push you to strive for greatness
" "What are you waiting for?" Coach asked me. "Play some D." Awake, I ran after Roger, but he dunked it before I was even close. "Go again," Coach said. "
3) Trying your best isn't always the easy way
" "You want to take him on again? Or do you need a break?" Ninety percent of me wanted to take the break. But I knew if I took that break I would never make the team. "I'll take him on again," I said. "
" "It's okay," Coach said to me, but he was talking to the whole team. "If you care about something enough, it's going to make you cry. But you have to use it. Use your tears. Use your pain. Use your fear. Get mad, Arnold, get mad." "
5) Winning is never worth someone's life
" "It's just a game," he said. "It's not worth all this." "
6) " "It's not whether you win or lose," I said. "It's how you play the game." "
7) " "The quality of a man's life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence, regardless of his chosen field of endeavor." "
8) Never give up, never surrender
"I have to prove that I am stronger than everybody else. I have to prove that I will never give up. I will never quit playing hard. And I don't just mean in basketball. I'm never going to quit living life this hard, you know? I'm never going to surrender to anybody. Never, ever, ever."