Welcome to another exciting year and a big welcome to Year 1.3! What a great first full week we have had. These last 2 weeks have been busy getting to know the children and for the children to settle into their new routines and environment. The children have worked incredibly well despite the unbearable heat. Please enjoy some photos from our first few weeks of Year 1.
* Reading homework began last week. The reading levels have been chosen from what the children were at at the end of Prep. I am looking forward to testing your child's reading and will communicate with you how they are going and what areas they will need to work on. When you are reading with your child at home, please ensure you are asking the children to retell the story and ask them some questions about the text.
* The spelling homework was sent home today (Wednesday). Your child should have brought home their spelling book that will have their spelling words glued in and a place for parents to sign each night. They will also bring home a laminated spelling homework grid. The children are asked to complete one of the activities on the grid 3 times a week. Please see me if you have any questions regarding this. Please note there is no formal testing of spelling words anymore. Instead, we will be monitoring their everyday writing to see if they are able to write the words correctly in context. Although these words might seem easy for some children, they are required to recognise them in context and spell them and use them correctly in their everyday writing. We will be adding harder words to your child's list if they require them but we would like all children to do the set class list for now to get used to the spelling activities.
* Today your child also received a Year 1.3 Timetable to help your child remember what days to wear their formal and sports uniform. I suggest placing this inside your child's wardrobe or on the fridge.
* A huge thank you to Rachael (Ava Brittain's mum) who has volunteered to be our Yr 1.3 Pastoral Parent.
* Thank you for the offers of coming in to assist in the classroom. I am now in the process of finalising days and times and once this is complete, I will place a roster just outside the classroom for parents to add their names to.
* All communication at Unity College will be put on the Unity BLOG. Please let me know if you have trouble accessing this. I will e-mail parents to let you know when there is new information for our Year 1 families.
* Just a reminder that the Healthy Snack must only be a fresh fruit and vegetable. Please do not provide a healthy snack for the snack box on Wednesdays as the children are out of the classroom with their specialty lessons and they don't get a chance to eat it.
It has been great seeing so many of the children willing and able to tie their own shoe laces. Could you please help your child to tie their shoe laces if they wear lace up shoes.
* You are welcome to bring cupcakes or ice blocks in for your child's birthday. Please refrain from bringing in large cakes that require cutting up as we don't keep knives in the classroom. If your child has birthday invitations to hand out, please place them in their homework folders either in the morning or at the end of the day.
In Maths, we have been learning how to count in 2s to 20. You might like to have your children practice this in the car.
In Literacy we have been exploring our first picture book... Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge. We have participated in a number of activities related to the text, including sentence reconstructions, painting and weaving. Perhaps you would like to ask your child about the story.
Thank you for all your support and patience with getting things set up in Year 1. Please remember if you have any questions or concerns to e-mail me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
School photos are next Monday (13th February). Please ensure the children are dressed in their formal uniform.