- Benozzo Gozzoli was born in 1420 in Florence, Italy.
- Gozzoli also spent most of his life in Florence but traveled frequently to work on some of his projects. (such as Tuscany, Umbria, and Rome).
- His teachers were successful in making him an amazing artist but he did not develop the grace and beauty of his professors.
- Gozzoli was able to tell a story within his paintings.
- He was easy going and had respect for his works. He was also spiritual.
- Some of his works: "Journey of the Magi" (painting), "The Saints" (pilaster), "Annunciation" (painting)
- Patrons: Pope Nicholas V, the Medici, and the commune of Pisa
"Journey of the Magi" was created in 1459.
- You can find it today in the Medici Riccardi Palace in Florence, Italy.
- The strokes on the traveler's hair are so exact and the perspectivism used to create the hills in the background makes them look 3-D.
This piece is interesting to me because:
~ The background is a beautiful landscape of nature.
~ I wonder where exactly the travelers are going and why.
Gozzoli's paintings reflects naturalism:
~ Gozzoli's paintings tells a story when you look at it in their natural appearance.
~ Most were frescoes; water paints on plaster.
Gozzoli himself reflects idealism:
~ He seemed to be relaxed and simple.
- Most of his works are of spiritual aspects.
- Benozzo Gozzoli became an independent master at the age of 30.
"Benozzo Gozzoli." International Dictionary of Art and Artists, Gale, 1990. Biography in
Context, ic.galegroup.com/ic/bic1/BiographiesDetailsPage/BiographiesDetailsWindow?disableHighlighting=false&displayGroupName=Biographies&currPage=&scanId=&query=&prodId=BIC1&search_within_results=&p=BIC1&mode=view&catId=&limiter=&display-query=&displayGroups=&contentModules=&action=e&sortBy=&documentId=GALE%7CK1639000189&windowstate=normal&activityType=&failOverType=&commentary=&source=Bookmark&u=bedf0311&jsid=e27a32be4390c2ee39e8ba618e071a94. Accessed 1 Dec. 2016.
"The Procession of the Magi." BEGO - Museo Benozzo Gozzoli. Istituto E Museo Di Storia Della
Scienza, Firenze, Italia, 2009. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
" ." Multiple Collection Search. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
Gozzoli, Benozzo. Journey of the Magi, 1459, tempera and oil on wet plaster, Medici Riccardi
Palace, Florence, Italy.