About the Study
This will be a collaborative, online experience as we read, learn, discuss, and share ideas from the book. It will take place online in Google Classroom and will challenge you to use technology tools to complete the weekly event activities.
However, it's not just about technology integration...
In short, it comes down to scarcity versus abundance. In the traditional pillars of instruction, curriculum, and assessment, this speaks to a time of information scarcity. Teachers held the knowledge that they learned from the curriculum and then passed the information on to the students.
In the new pillars of designing, curating, and gathering feedback, this focuses on the abundance of information that we carry in our pockets each day. Our students live in a world of information overload and we have to facilitate the learning in our classrooms to match the way that many of them learn today. Intrigued?
One thing this book has made me realize is that we need to understand the "why" we do what we do. Here is my why...
Do you have chills? I DO! Our students are the future of this country. They are worth the work it will take to make this pedagogical shift!
So, I invite you to join me for a collaborative, online experience as we read, learn, discuss, and share ideas from Gayle Allen's book, The New Pillars of Modern Teaching. This will be a 6 week student conducted entirely on Google Classroom. We will begin on Monday, June 5th and end on Sunday, July 16th. 6 hours of professional development credit will be earned and can count towards your October exchange days.
I know that this book will challenge your current mindset and expand your thinking about your role in the classroom. This spring, your campus and central office instructional administrators completed the same book study over the book in Google Classroom. Thoughts were shared, mindsets were shifted, and plans were made to improve the way we do things in Commerce ISD. Want in on the hype? Join us!
Registration must be completed by Friday, May 12th so that I can add students to the Google Classroom and deliver books (books are included with the study). Please contact me (Heather Kilgore) with any questions pertaining to this study!
About the Author: Dr. Gayle Allen
- Lifelong educator who has worked as a teacher, coach, and administrator in K12 schools, as well as an adjunct professor at Teachers College, Columbia University.
- The founder of two professional learning institutes whose missions are to promote teacher growth and leadership.
- Gayle serves as the founding director of BrightBytes Labs, a research organization that studies the factors that influence effective teaching and learning.
- Twitter: @GAllenTC
- Blog: gayleallen.net
- Podcast: Curious Minds.
- Week 1: 6/5 - 6/11 - Preface & Introduction (p. ix - 5)
- Week 2: 6/12 - 6/18 - Chapter 1 (p. 7 - 12)
- Week 3: 6/19 - 6/25 - Chapter 2 (p. 13 - 20)
- Week 4: 6/26 - 7/2 - Chapter 3 (p. 21 - 30)
- Week 5: 7/3 - 7/9 - Chapter 4 (p. 31 - 38)
- Week 6: 7/10 - 7/16 - Chapter 5 (p. 39 - 44)