The Science Behind
The uses of e-textiles in society:
In society e-textiles are used in wearable items. It is used in wearable items because it can help recognize the activity and behavioral status of someone's body.
Conductivity of human bodies and skin:
The conductivity of human skin are produced by the electric current throughout our body. The skin resistance protects the body from electricity.
What challenges did you face while doing this project? Why do you consider these processes challenging?
One of the challenges that was faced during the project was designing the glove. It was difficult planning on how to sew the lily pad and sensors to the back of the glove. This was challenging because we had to find a way to get it sewed without creating any short cuts. The problem was fixed by getting help and finding a way to get it sewed to the back.
Along with also designing the glove, another problem happened. The challenge was figuring out how to connect the positive LED lights to connect to the lily pad. It was challenging because we had 4 LED lights and had to find a way to complete the circuit. It was resolved by programming the A's to the positives and making the 10 on the lily pad act as a negative.
Another challenge was doing the first step while starting the project, it was difficult when sewing one of the four lights to the glove. While sewing the light it was hard to keep the glove stable while sewing it three times. It was resolved by making it easier to have a hand out halfway in the glove while sewing. A similar problem that also happened with the sewing process was trying the keep the lily pad stable. With that happening, in the end the thread was sewed to the wrong part of the lily pad. It was difficult because we had to unstitch it without making the same mistake again. To fix the issue we unstitched the thread and properly connect it again.
When everything was completed and it was time to test the glove out, a problem had occurred. There were only 2 lights that blinked and worked while the other 2 didn't. Then it would blink when it wasn't supposed to and then it stopped. It wasn't programmed to do that. It was challenging because we didn't know why it was happening. We first tried to figure out if it was the programming that was wrong but it wasn't that. It was then resolved by figuring out what was wrong with the sewing. We found out that the side of the glove wasn't finished being sewed therefore we had to finish the stitch. I consider this challenging because we checked at almost everything to resolve the issue.
The next challenge that was faced was when we had numbers that weren't exactly correct for the sensor value. This was because we weren't able to have accurate/exact numbers because we weren't done sewing. In the end the problems were fixed by the sewing being finished and used similar numbers to what we had in the activity that we did before with sensor values.